I’ve tricked everyone.
Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing made believers out of the most stubborn of my non vegan friends!
I had so many people asking me for this recipe I just had to make a blog post for it!
I still have people emailing me and sending me notes on facebook to say “That carrot cake was the best I’ve ever tried!”
But don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself!
Quite possibly the easiest recipe to mix too, since there is no mixer required!
Even the cream cheese icing can be done by hand since vegan cream cheese is so much easier to cream smooth than it’s animal counterpart!
This is my go-to recipe whenever I want to impress the masses.
Isn’t that odd? Whoever would have thought a carrot cake would be a vegan converter! LOL
- Vegetable Oil ¾ cup (177ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1¼ cup (157g)
- Cake Flour ½ cup (60g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1¾ teaspoons
- Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- Carrots 4 medium (approx 2 cups 250g)
- Granny Smith Apple 1 medium peeled approx ¾ cup
- Orange Zest from ¼ large orange approx 1 teaspoon
- Toasted Walnuts ¾ cup plus more for garnish *optional
- Combine the flax with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- In a large bowl combine the sugars with the oil, vanilla extract and the flax mixture, whisk smooth
- Add the orange zest
- Then sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the bowl and whisk smooth
- Add the grated carrots and apple and the nuts then mix smooth
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F in a preheated oven for approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans. Bake Until they are Done
- Cool cakes while you prepare the Cream Cheese Icing recipe below and then assemble cake as shown in the video
Iced cake must be kept refrigerated but may stay at room temperature for up to 3 hours max
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 Tubs (2cups) (454g)
- Vegan Butter 1 stick (½ cup) (112g)
- Confectioner's Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Buttercream 1 cup *optional
- Smooth cream cheese and butter with a paddle attachment or preferably by hand *vegan cream cheese can get runny if you over mix it so it is almost better to mix this recipe by hand
- Add sifted confectioners sugar, blend on low just to combine
- Add extract then add optional vegan buttercream icing
- Mix smooth