Also known as Depression Cake or Wacky Cake, this recipe for egg free & dairy free Vegan Chocolate Cake is surprisingly GREAT!
“We don’t need no stinking eggs!” LOL
I am not quite sure who to credit for the original posting to the internet for this recipe (since there are tons, not to mention the original recipes dates all the way back to the early 1900’s).
So I tried a couple recipes that are floating around and I’ve tweaked it slightly to suit my liking!
It is so moist and so chocolate-y and affordable too!
It also works great as cupcakes!
Or just halve the recipe below and divide the batter between the same 2-8" pans for 2 thinner layers
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Cake Flour 1 cup (120g)
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder 8 Tablespoons (48g) *not dutched process
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Ground Cinnamon *Optional 1 teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Vanilla Extract 4 teaspoons (20ml)
- Coconut Oil 12 Tablespoons (177ml) melted
- Strong Brewed Coffee 2 cups (480ml) *approx 180°F
- Sift both flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the natural cocoa powder with the hot coffee and then add the vinegar, oil and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients and whisk vigorously with a hand whisk until smooth (about 15 strokes)
- Pour batter into greased and parchment lined 8" x 2" cake pan(s)
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°f oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool completely before using inyour favorite layer cake creation!
Click here for more about freezing cake layers