Also known as Depression Cake or Wacky Cake, this recipe for egg free & dairy free Vegan Chocolate Cake is surprisingly GREAT!
“We don’t need no stinking eggs!” LOL
I actually wanted to name my cake “The Salad Cake” or the “Oil & Vinegar Cake” since those are 2 of the ingredients!
I am not quite sure who to credit for the original posting to the internet for this recipe (since there are tons, not to mention the original recipes dates all the way back to the early 1900’s).
I first tried the recipe from Sweet Little Bluebird who actually calls it a Crazy Cake.
I’ve tweaked it slightly to suit my liking!
I hope you love it too!
It is so moist and so chocolate-y and affordable too!
For those who want a vegan vanilla cake, while taking out the cocoa powder here and replacing with flour works; it is not my favorite and I want you to check out this one instead
Or just halve the recipe below for 2 thinner layers
(In the video I made the full recipe)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Cake Flour 1 cup (120g)
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder 8 Tablespoons (48g) *not dutched process
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Ground Cinnamon *Optional 1 teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10g)
- Vanilla Extract 4 teaspoons (20ml)
- Coconut Oil 12 Tablespoons (165g) melted
- Strong Brewed Coffee 2 cups (480ml) *approx 180°F
- Sift both flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the natural cocoa powder with the hot coffee and then add the vinegar, oil and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients and whisk vigorously with a hand whisk until smooth (about 15 strokes)
- Pour batter into greased and parchment lined 8" x 2" cake pan(s)
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°f oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool completely before using inyour favorite layer cake creation!
Click here for more about freezing cake layers