One of my favorite recipes to make (and eat) is a veggie stir fry.
#1 because I love it, but #2 because it is so easy and I make enough that I can eat it for several meals.
Sometimes I will try the bottled sauces if I find an interesting one in the supermarket but for the most part I like to make my own sauce concoction which I am sharing with you here today.
It is way cheaper to make your own of course, and it is really simple too, but of course you can grab a bottle of your favorite Asian stir fry/marinade if you prefer.
Also feel free to add whatever veggies you like best.
Here I am using the standard peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms; but sometimes if I have asparagus, zucchini or snow peas I’ll add those instead or in addition to.
Brown rice made with rice milk instead of water will change your life forever!
And I’ve been obsessed with air fried tofu lately!
As I mentioned in the video you can forgo the air fryer and simply cook the cornstarch coated tofu cubes in the pan with a little bit of oil if you want to do it that way instead.
This recipe was part of my recent video on Youtube for my vlog series How to Cook Vegan for Beginners
- For the Sauce:
- Cornstarch 3 Tablespoons
- Soy Sauce ¼ cup
- Mirin 1 Tablespoon
- Rice Vinegar 1 Tablespoon
- Water 2 Tablespoons
- Sugar or your preferred sweetener ¼ cup
- Fresh grated Ginger 2 teaspoons
- Garlic 2 teaspoons (I did not add this to the sauce, but to my veggies instead)
- Red Pepper Flakes 1-2 teaspoons
- For the Veggies:
- Onion 1 medium chopped
- Bell Peppers 1 medium seeded & chopped
- Carrots 2 medium sliced
- Broccoli 1 small head (approx 1½ cups sliced)
- Mushrooms Baby Bella 1½ cups sliced
- Garlic 3 gloves minced
- Scallions ½ cup sliced or chopped
- Water Chestnuts optional 1 small can
- For the Tofu:
- Firm or Extra Firm tofu pressed 2 hours 1 Block
- Cornstarch as needed
- Bread Crumbs 1¼ cup
- Parsley 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic Powder 2 teaspoons
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Soy Milk 1 cup
- Olive or Coconut Oil 2 Tablespoons
- For the Brown Rice:
- Brown Rice 1 cup
- Rice Milk 2¼ cups
- Prepare the rice according to the instructions on the bag
- Toss the pressed tofu in the cornstarch to coat shake off the excess.
- Dip in the soy milk oil mixture and then into the bread crumbs and spice mixture, air fry at 400F for 10-15 minutes or saute in a pan with a small amount of oil until crispy
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and then get the veggies into a large wok or saute pan with a lid to steam over medium to high heat (I microwave the broccoli for 1-2 minutes because that takes longer to cook, then add to the rest of the veg)
- Once the veg is fork tender add the sauce and cook until it boils and the sauce thickens.
- Add the water chestnuts and scallions last then add the tofu, toss everything to coat well