Looking for the best vegan brownie recipe?
Well your search stops here!
I have several recipes here on my website for vegan brownies
But today I have settled on the one perfect recipe that fits every application!
It’s fudgy and chewy and it is ready in just under an hour!
I use it when I want to add brownie layers to my cakes
It’s great for individual treats like my Snicker’s Brownie recipe!
And of course it is the best for regular ol’ brownies for snacking!
Notes for Success:
I understand the measure for the baking powder and salt is interesting since who has a 2/3 spoon measure?
Measure out one teaspoon and then carefully scoop out about 1/3 of it leaving behind 2/3 for the recipe
Using a scale for the flour and other ingredients is the best for consistent perfect brownies!
Some people are opposed to using coffee in their recipes but coffee and chocolate are best friends!
Coffee brings out the best characteristics of chocolate so I hope you will try it!
You will not taste the coffee I promise! However if you prefer, you can use water instead.
For those who want to lighten up the sugar in this recipe I have used an equal measure of monk fruit sugar in place of the granulated sugar with great results
Additionally I know some people cannot get molasses in which case you can omit it and use dark brown sugar instead of the granulated sugar
As explained in the video this recipe makes so many variations of bakes; like round cake layers, individual s and cupcakes, sometimes I use a sheet pan and sometimes I use a square brownie pan
Depending on the size, thickness and look you are going for you really can bake this recipe into any sized pan.
The recipe listed below will make:
8″ x 8″ Pan for thicker brownies
1/4 Sheet Pan for thinner brownies (bake time will be slightly less)
3-7″ Round Cake Layers
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 2/3 teaspoon
- Salt 2/3 teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar 11oz (311g) *this is about 1½ cups + 1 Tablespoon
- Vegan Butter 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- Molasses 4 teaspoons (20ml)
- Strong Brewed Coffee 5½ fluid ounces (162ml) *or 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules to 5½oz hot water
- Semi Sweet Chocolate 3 ounces (85g)
- Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (85g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Chocolate chunks for topping 3 ounces (85g) *optional
- Chocolate Chips for the batter 2/3 cup *optional
- Prepare an 8" x 8" square brownie pan with pan grease & parchment paper
- preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bring the vegan butter & molasses to a boil in a small sauce pan
- Add the chocolate to the hot butter mixture and whisk smooth to melt the chocolate
- Next pour this into a large mixing bowl with the cocoa powder and whisk smooth
- Add the hot brewed coffee (or if you are using instant granules add this to the same amount of hot water)
- Next add the sugar and vanilla extract & whisk smooth
- Sift the flour, baking powder & salt directly into the chocolate mixture and stir just to combine, do not over mix
- Add the optional chocolate chips to the batter
- Spread the brownie batter into the greased & parchment lined pan.
- Add the other measure of chocolate chunks to the top
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs not raw batter.
- Remove from the oven to cool in the pan
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting.
Fudge brownies will stay fresh at room temperature for about 4 days.
For longer storage refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for 2 months