You know me, when I get stuck on a theme I just go with it!
From Caramel Turtle Donuts last week to this
Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake I am swimming in chocolate, caramel and pecans!
Oh what a combination!
My best double chocolate cheesecake recipe takes on a new form with this addition of caramel sauce and toasted pecans.
If you love cheesecake then this one is going to be your new favorite!
Perfect New York Style Chocolate Cheesecake and drippy caramel!
Notes for Success:
I only use Tofutti Cream Cheese for my BAKED recipes. *not sponsored
I have not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes.
For some reason the other more expensive brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
When measuring cornstarch I cannot stress enough that a kitchen scale is the best way to go.
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume spoons measure
So while I list both measures below I cannot stress enough how the grams measure with a scale is going to give you the best results.
Many times people have complained that their cheesecake is like rubber and they don’t know why!
This is from a heavy measure of cornstarch when using volume measuring spoon vs the 100% accurate scale measure in grams.
For more of the best vegan cheesecakes click the links below!
- For the Crust:
- Vegan Chocolate Sandwich Cookies 12
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- For the Cheesecake Batter:
- Vegan Cream Cheese (I use Tofutti brand) 1-8ounce package (226g)
- Medium or Firm Tofu half package drained 7ounces
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 4 ounces (113g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Cornstarch 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Natural unsweetened Cocoa Powder 2 Tablespoons
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Lactic Acid 1 teaspoon (or 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Soy milk ¾ cup
- For the caramel sauce:
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk (120ml)
- Salt pinch
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Pecans 1 cup lightly toasted
- Prepare the crust by crushing the sandwich cookies (with cream fillings) in a food processor and then add the melted vegan butter
- Press it into the greased and parchment lined 7" cake pan and freeze while you prepare the cheesecake batter
- Place all cheesecake ingredients except for the milk & the chocolate and vegan butter into the food processor and process smooth
- Melt the chocolate with the vegan butter over a low heat stirring constantly (or in the microwave) and then add it to the other ingredients in the food processor.
- Process smooth while pouring the milk alternative through the feed tube while processing to a smooth batter
- Pour batter into prepared pan with the cookie crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours to set before unmolding
- For the Caramel Sauce:
- Combine the sugar, salt and coconut milk together in a sauce pot and whisk smooth until it starts to boil
- Once it boils reduce heat to medium and stop stirring and let it reduce to almost half the original volume (which would be about ½ cup) this should take about 5 minutes, not much longer
- Add the vanilla extract and swirl the pan to combine
- Pour into a heat proof container to cool completely
- Once cool pour over the cheesecake and top with roasted pecans
I do not like the way this cheesecake freezes, it gets grainy on the thaw