One recipe to make dozens of muffins?
How is that even possible?
Introducing the only muffin recipe you will ever need and it’s never been easier!
Today I made four totally different muffins from one base recipe!
I narrowed it down to these four but dozens more possibilities are just waiting for you to make them!
Add nuts and spices and dried or fresh fruits!
Interchange the berry with a fruit you like better or make it a coffeecake swirl muffin with cinnamon throughout!
Whatever flavors you like the best you will see how easy it is to incorporate just about anything into this batter
The best part is, there are no mixers required, but you will need several bowls!
My top four picks today happened to be
Banana Chocolate Chip Streusel *recipe listed below
Blueberry Lemon *recipe listed below
Strawberry Crumble *recipe listed below
And last but definitely not least,
Double Chocolate Chip *recipe listed below
This recipe will make exactly one dozen muffins with three of each variety, but if you have the extra oven space and an additional standard muffin baking pan
Easily double the recipe and go for endless variations!
Just be careful with your math if you do decide to double the ingredients listed below
The number one reason for recipe failures usually starts with the math!
These muffins freeze beautifully after they have been baked so you can pop one out of the freezer any time for a delicious muffin in minutes!
Because the batter is a baking soda recipe, it is important to bake the muffins right away or they start to lose their “oomphf!”
So freezing the baked muffins is a better option that freezing or storing the raw batter.
Notes for Success:
For a lighter version you can replace half of the oil or vegan butter with applesauce
For 3 muffins you will need ¾ cup of batter mixed with whatever additions you like.
The bulk struesel topping can be prepared and frozen as noted in the recipe below, it is best to use the topping straight out of the freezer by topping the muffins just before baking.
I like to bake muffins at a higher temperature to get that signature “jump” for that domed muffin top.
You can turn the oven down to 325°F after the initial 20 minutes if you feel they are browning too much, but the standard sized muffins don’t usually take more than 25-30 minutes total
I used a strawberry compote as the mix in for my strawberry muffins because I did not have any fresh berries, while I loved the taste of these muffins the best, they did not get a good dome compared to the others.
I think this is because the batter was slightly wet compared to the others causing a harder time to get that rise.
Keep that in mind if you are using a canned filling or something with excess liquids as the add in.
One last thing! You will notice I am using a combination of vegan butter AND coconut oil.
I like this combo, but you can use all of one or the other.
For more muffin recipes click the links below
I am listing below just the 4 variations that I used today!
The Bulk Struesel topping can be stored in a container in the freezer for up to 3 months, use it as you need it!
You will need 1 standard muffin pan
Preheat the oven to 375°F
Each variation listed below will make 3 muffins, by using ¾ cup batter per variation
- Basic Muffin Batter:
- Plant Milk *I use soy milk ¾ cup (177ml)
- Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons (56g)
- Coconut Oil 4 Tablespoons (56g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1¾ cups (227g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- For 3 Banana Muffins:
- Ripe banana mashed 6 Tbs (98g)
- Mini Chocolate Chips 2 Tablespoons
- Streusel topping 3 Tablespoons
- For 3 Strawberry Muffins:
- Fresh or frozen strawberries ½ cup
- Streusel topping 3 Tablespoons
- For 3 Lemon Blueberry Muffins:
- Blueberries fresh or frozen ¼ cup
- Lemon Zest from 1 small lemon *approx 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Extract ⅛ teaspoon *optional
- For 3 Double Chocolate Muffins:
- Cocoa powder 2 Tablespoons
- Hot water 2 Tablespoons
- Mini Chocolate Chips 4 Tablespoons **2 Tbs goes IN the batter the other 2Tbs goes on top of the muffins before baking
- For the Bulk Struesel Topping:
- Vegan Light Brown Sugar Packed ¾ cup (150g)
- Vegan Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Ground Cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 3 sticks (340g)
- Cake Flour 3¼ cups (390g)
- Prepare the basic muffin batter by combing the flour, sugar, baking soda & powder & salt in a large mixing bowl, whisk to incorporate everything evenly.
- Melt the vegan butter and the coconut oil together
- In another bowl or a glass measure combine the plant milk with the vinegar let it stand a few minutes to thicken, then add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the melted butter/oil mixture into the flour along with the plant milk mixture, whisk smooth
- You will have approximately 2¾ cups of batter total.
- Divide the batter into 4 smaller bowls each with an approximate ¾ cup cup of batter
- Then add your variation ingredients to each bowl for each different flavor
- Scoop the batter into your paper lined muffin pans, add the struesel topping or sugar or nuts or oats or whatever toppings you like to each muffin and bake immediately in your preheated 375°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Depending on your oven and placement in the oven you may want to turn the oven temperature down to 350 for the last 10 minutes of baking to make sure they do not over brown
- Cool muffins in the pan until you can safely touch the pan without burning yourself, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way
- Muffins can be frozen *see storage information in the notes section
- For the Bulk Struesel topping:
- creaming the cold butter with both sugars - about 2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, salt and flour and mix just until combined sprinkle it out onto a parchment lined sheet pan breaking up any large pieces of crumbs into smaller crumbles.
- Freeze solid, then transfer to a ziploc bag or a container suitable for freezing.
- Use frozen and store in the freezer for up to 3 months
- For the Cocoa Paste Variation:
- Combine the cocoa powder with the hot water and whisk smooth