This recipe for vegan sausage stuffed mushrooms will have your most carnivorous friends begging you to make them again and again!
These little mushrooms are packed with more flavor than you can imagine!
Perfect as an appetizer for any party, but I do love to serve these specifically on New Year’s Eve.
You can use any brand vegan sausage you like
Just be sure to read the ingredients as many brands claim to be “meatless” but will then add egg whites or even milk.
Portabellas make for a great single serving appetizer or even the main course
Notes for Success:
Panko whole wheat bread crumbs is my choice, but any bread crumbs will do fine, including gluten free bread crumbs with great success.
I only use Tofutti Cream Cheese for my BAKED recipes *not sponsored
Since I have not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes; for some reason the other more expensive brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
However recently some of my viewers have told me that they’ve “had success with Violife! It’s a little less perfect than Tofutti but still delicious”
Another viewer said, “I used Miyokos original and it turned out divine!!”
- 12 Jumbo Mushrooms or 24 Baby Bellas
- Vegan Sausage 8 ounces (226g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese 6 ounces (170g) *see notes
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese ¼ cup + 1 Tbs
- Yellow Onion 1 small (approx ¾ cup)
- Celery Ribs 1 large (approx ½ cup)
- Flat Leaf Parsley ¼ cup packed
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Bread Crumbs ¾ cup
- Dried Thyme 1 teaspoon
- Dried Sage ¾ teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Ground Black Pepper ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (26g)
- Wash and de-stem the mushrooms but reserve the mushroom stems
- Take 1 tbs of the vegan butter and coat the bottom of a 9" X 13" baking pan
- Arrange the mushrooms in the pan
- Combine the parsley, celery, garlic and onion with the mushroom stems in a food processor and process until everything is shredded like hash
- Cook the vegan sausage over high heat until it is browned then add the chopped veggies with the sage and thyme and cook for about 1 minute
- Lower the heat and add the vegan cream cheese and cook over medium heat until all is combined well
- Add the bread crumbs and the ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and mix well
- Season with salt and pepper then remove from the heat and fill the mushroom caps with the sausage mixture
- Top each one with the remaining 1 Tbs Parmesan cheese and the 1 Tbs remaining butter (each mushroom gets a tiny spot of vegan butter) Or just melt the butter and brush over the tops of each one
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes
- Serve hot
Mushrooms are best served hot out of the oven but can be made ahead of time and reheated
Leftover mushrooms should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days