We are full swing in the middle of summer and that means one thing and one thing only.
Zucchini’s are popping!
Well let’s hope they are anyway!
I had better luck this year than I did last year with growing my own zucchini’s.
I learned quite a lot about proper soil and pollination (or rather lack thereof!)
And it sure paid off!
I grew 4 jumbo courgettes so far this year!
Once I plucked them, it was straight into the kitchen for my famous Zucchini Bread Recipe!
This is a lower fat version since I subbed in some applesauce for the large amount of oil that was in my original recipe.
(That original recipe being in my cookbook Modern Vegan Baking!)
If you don’t have applesauce, you can just increase the oil by that same amount OR use a banana that has been frozen, then thawed to a puree!
I am using the Plant Based Egg by Freely Vegan for the egg replacer, but if you can’t get that you can omit it or use another brand name egg replacer you like best; I think I am just in love with it so much that I try to add it in everything!
You will notice I am using flax meal as well, but not exactly for the egg replacer, more of a fortifier here of some super Omega 3’s!
This will lend moisture and some really delicious healthy fats!
That said, I’ll be quite honest, if you don’t have a proprietary blend of egg replacer, don’t sweat it. The flax meal will be just enough.
I have made this bread with walnuts & without so you can decide if you want to use them or not.
I did not list that in the ingredients below, but this recipe will accommodate about ¾- 1 cup of lightly toasted nuts with no problem!
And one last thing, you can also make this batter into muffins!
I think it will make 12-15 standard muffins, just fill the paper lined muffin tins ¾ way full with batter, bake at 350°F for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You will need 2 medium sized zucchini's to make 3 cups grated at a total weight of 354g
If your zuchini's are particularly "wet" you should squeeze out the excessive liquid before adding to the recipe- anything more than 1 Tbs liquid would be excessive
- Granulated or Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Vegetable Oil *I use coconut oil ¼ cup (50g)
- Applesauce *see note in written blog post above ½ cup (100g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1¾ cup (218g)
- Baking Powder 1¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Egg Replacer *I am using the Plant based Egg by Freely Vegan *see note above 2 teaspoons
- Flax meal 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- Cinnamon 1¼ teaspoon
- Cardamom *optional but awesome! ½ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Grated Fresh Zucchini 3 cups (354g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grate the fresh zucchini and then measure it to 354g.
- Squeeze put any excessive moisture - you may or may not have any depending on the zucchini, I only had about 2 Tbs excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oil, sugar, applesauce *if using and vanilla extract whisk to combine well.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and mix into the liquids in the bowl. mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Add the grated zucchini and mix well.
- Spread batter into greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 325°F for another **approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs not raw batter.
- Cool in the pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Just be careful of molding in very hot humid conditions.
Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage
Wait, there’s just ONE MORE THING! If you don’t have zucchini’s you can make this same recipe into Carrot Bread (yep by subbing in shredded carrots!) OR Apple Bread!
Ok, now you may go to the store and gather your ingredients! Happy Baking!