I should actually rename this one Carrot Zucchini Bread
Since I seem to always add a handful of carrots to my zucchini bread recipe nowadays!
Here’s a lower oil recipe for zucchini bread that will have you wishing you made two loaves!
Nothing beats popping a couple of zucchini breads in the oven on a Saturday morning!
Notes for Success:
If you don’t have applesauce or you don’t want to use it, you can just increase the oil by that same amount
Or use banana puree instead!
You will notice I am using flax meal but not as an egg replacer as most would assume
This will lend moisture and some really delicious healthy fats!
I have made this bread with walnuts & without so you can decide if you want to use them or not.
I did not list that in the ingredients below, but this recipe will accommodate about ¾- 1 cup of lightly toasted nuts with no problem!
You will notice in the video I used regular granulated sugar and a spot of molasses since I did not have brown sugar.
2 medium sized zucchini’s to make 3 cups grated at a total weight of 354g
I never squeeze my shredded zucchini, but if your zuchini is particularly “wet” you should squeeze out the excessive liquid before adding to the recipe- anything more than 1 Tbs liquid would be excessive
And one last thing, you can also make this batter into muffins!
I think it will make 12-15 standard muffins, just fill the paper lined muffin tins ¾ way full with batter, bake at 350°F for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For more awesome quick bread recipes click the links below!
- Granulated or Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Vegetable Oil ¼ cup (50g)
- Applesauce *see notes ½ cup (100g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1¾ cup (218g)
- Baking Powder 1¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Flax meal 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom *optional but awesome! ½ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Grated Fresh Zucchini 3 cups (354g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grate the fresh zucchini and then measure it to 354g.
- Squeeze put any excessive moisture - you may or may not have any depending on the zucchini, I only had about 2 Tbs excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oil, sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract whisk to combine well.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients including the flax meal, since I am not relying on it as an egg replacer there is no need to reconstitute it here..
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquids in the bowl and mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Add the grated zucchini and mix well.
- Spread batter into greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 325°F for another **approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs not raw batter.
- Cool in the pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Zucchini Bread can be stored at room temperature for a couple of day wrapped to prevent drying.
Just be careful of molding in very hot humid conditions.
Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage