I’m not sure why, but I rarely make cupcakes.
Perhaps because I know I would eat way too many of them since they are just too easy to eat when no one is looking!
Layer cakes require a knife and a fork and a plate
That’s way too much effort when you can get right down to it with a perfect cupcake!
Like these Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Not only does this recipe make the most moist, delicious banana cupcakes you have ever tried
But you can equally bake the batter into cake pans for an amazing Banana Layer Cake too!
The Cream Cheese Frosting is so perfect with these banana cupcakes
But you can of course use whatever icing you like the best.
I also used some finely chopped and lightly toasted walnuts for inside the batter, but I know many people don’t like to use nuts in their recipes
Nuts or no nuts~ this recipe is going to become one of your forever favorites!
Notes for Success:
Upon creation of this recipe you will see that I was using The Plant Based Egg ~ Egg Replacer by Freely Vegan
Since it is no longer available I have since stopped promoting it and typically use Bob’s Red Mill as a 1:1 sub
You can sub in any other dry blend egg replacer of your choice equivalent to 1 egg, or use 1 Tbs flax meal reconstituted with 3 Tbs of the plant milk from the recipe below.
I also use soy milk in most of my baking recipes but for those wanting to avoid soy, you can use any plant milk of your choice.
This original method of making vegan cream cheese icing is a very fragile one
Since vegan cream cheese likes to break down into a soupy mess when it is mixed too harshly
I have since created a No Cream Cheese version of cream cheese icing that I use exclusively now!
Magical 2-2-2 Cream Cheese Icing that needs NO refrigeration!
For more Banana Recipes click the links below!
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line your cupcake molds with paper liners
- For the Banana Cupcakes:
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (140g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Baking Soda ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 5 Tablespoons (70g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons (128g)
- Salt ⅛ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Egg Replace 2 teaspoons *or any store bought dry egg replacer you prefer
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Ripe Mashed Banana 1 large for 1 cup puree (approx 175g)
- Plant Milk ⅓ cup (78ml) * I use soy milk
- Chopped lightly toasted walnuts *optional ½ cup
- 1 Recipe 222 Cream Cheese Icing
- For the banana cake batter:
- Cream the softened vegan butter with the sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, this will take approximately 4 minutes.
- Stop and scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl for an even mix
- Sift the flour, baking powder & baking soda, the egg replacer with the salt and cinnamon.
- Combine the vanilla extract with the soy milk
- Once the butter is creamed sufficiently add ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until combined
- Add ½ of the soy milk vanilla mixture and mix just until blended
- Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients while mixing on low, then add the remaining milk and then the last of the dry.
- Add the mashed banana last mix well to incorporate
- Scoop the batter into paper lined cupcake molds filling ¾ full and bake immediately in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350°F to bake the rest of the way
- Total bake time should be about 25minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool completely while you prepare the 2 2 2 cream cheese icing according to that recipe post
- Ice cupcakes and sprinkle with additional chopped toasted nuts *optional
Iced cupcakes with Cream cheese icing must be refrigerated, unless you are using the 2-2-2 recipe then they can stay out at room temperature