Although this recipe is for vegan candied pecans you can of course use any nut you prefer or a combination of all different nuts!
Originally as the topping for my pumpkin cheesecake bars but I didn’t stop there.
I love this recipe as a topping for so many different things or just for a sweet healthy(er) snack!
For a really easy, delicious topping for ice cream, cakes and pies
But even if you don’t use these as a garnish for cakes and pastries
They make a really great gift idea this holiday season!
Subtly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
But the secret ingredient to make these 100% vegan is the aquafaba!
As many of you may know the key to candied nuts is the egg white that sort of sticks everything together making a sugary glaze and a crispy crunch.
I have the spices listed out separately below but you can use 1½ teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice instead
*SKIP TO 2:20 IN THE VIDEO
- Aquafaba 3 Tablespoons
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Pecan Halves (or other nuts) 2 cups
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon
- Ginger ¼ teaspoon
- Cloves 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt pinch
- Whip the aquafaba in a large mixing bowl until foamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and whip it to incorporate
- Add the pecans and toss to coat well
- Combine the sugar, salt & spices and add to the pecans in the bowl.
- Toss well to evenly coat
- Spread onto a silicone mat or a lightly oiled sheet pan
- Bake in a preheated 300°F oven for 20 minutes, stir them up after you take them out of the oven and redistribute and cool
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month at room temperature