Frangipane is a classic recipe that is more like a creamy almond filling than an actual cake or pastry.
Primarily used as a filling for an elegant but easy Apricot Frangipane Tart!
Sweet juicy apricots nestled in a bed of creamy almond frangipane with a crisp chocolate shortbread crust.
A spinoff of the recipe from my new cookbook Modern Vegan Baking
where I made it with apples, raspberry jam and a vanilla shortbread crust.
Today I decided to switch things up and make the crust chocolate
With my awesome recipe for Chocolate Shortbread Cookie dough
And since the apricots were calling my name in the supermarket last night, I just had to buy them!
With just two simple recipes you will be on your way to a show stopping dessert
Almond paste is very sweet on it’s own, so I didn’t add any additional sugar to the filling
What a nice change from the overly sweet desserts and cakes piled with buttercream
This tart really highlights the decadent almond paste and the apricots just shine!
The chocolate crust is a perfect trio with the almond and apricot!
Notes for Success:
If you are used to super sweet desserts ~which most of here in the USA are!
You may want to add ¼ cup of confectioners sugar sugar to the creamed almond paste
This is one dessert where you can adjust the sweetness to your liking also based on the fruits and jams you are using.
The great thing about it being vegan is you can taste the raw almond cream to see where you stand before baking!
In the original recipe written below you will notice I used EnerG Egg Replacer
If you do not have this you can use another egg replacer of your choice, but the EnerG has leavening already inside
So if you use something else add ¼ teaspoon baking powder to the recipe
For more elegant but easy desserts click the links below!
You can use 1 larger8" Tart shell or 6 individual tart molds
- For the Chocolate Crust:
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (125g)
- Cocoa Powder ¼ cup
- Baking Soda ⅛ teaspoon
- Confectioner's Sugar ½ cup + 2 Tbs
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Butter ½ cup + 2 Tbs (140g)
- For the Frangipane Filling:
- Almond Paste 8 ounces (226g)
- Vegan Butter ½ cup (113g)
- EnerG Egg Replacer 1 Tablespoon
- Warm Water ¼ cup (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour 2 Tablespoons (15g)
- Fresh Apricots 3-4 medium sized
- Apricot Jam ½ cup + more for glazing
- First prepare the crust by combining the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and confectioner's sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the softened vegan butter and mix until it comes together to a crumbly dough.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue mixing until it comes together to a soft pliable dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Meanwhile prepare the frangipane combining the enerG egg replacer with the warm water and whisk smooth.
- Break up the almond paste into the work bowl of your mixer and mix it on low speed to smooth out.
- Add some of the egg replacer mixture to help it smooth out then add the rest.
- Add the vegan butter and mix smooth
- Add the vanilla extract and then flour last
- Mix to a smooth paste.
- Roll the chilled shortbread dough to fit into a 9" tart shell with a removable bottom
- Spread ½ cup apricot jam into the bottom then pipe the frangipane over top (*It's easier to use a pastry bag rather than try to spread it with a spatula because it will have a tendency to mix into the jam rather than keep clear separated layers)
- Arrange the sliced apricots over top and sprinkle with sugar *optional
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for approximately 50 minutes or until the frangipane is baked through and no longer raw in the center. The frangipane will be slightly puffed and golden browned.
- Cool slightly then glaze with extra melted apricot jam
- Cool before serving