So I got really confused with Valentine’s Day and Saint Patrick’s Day all melded into one
I made a heart shape alphabet letter cake cookie decorated for St Pat’s?
Cream Tart, Cookie Cake, Cookie Letter or Alphabet ThinGaMaJingy!
You know! The trending Letter Cake that hit the scene several years ago
And yes, I know it’s not a letter!
Whatever you want to call it~ I made it and it’s actually really good!
Back in 2018 this style “cake” started showing up just about everywhere!
I’m sure you have probably seen it as it hasn’t really gone out of style
Most people are doing them in alphabet or numbers
But I wanted to get this one done for Valentine’s Day (which I did not)
So I melded my heart template for Valentine’s Day into a St. Patrick’s Day design instead!
But it really works, and as you can see you can use this idea for the letter cake idea for any occasion!
All you need is two simple recipes and a few edible decorations
Then of course the fresh flowers is really what brings it all home.
Store bought decor like cookies, candies and chocolates is a fast way to go
Although when trying to stay with vegan options it’s much more difficult to find store bought versions so I decided to just make my own.
With a chocolate spin on a this same shortbread cookie recipe
I made some hearts dipped in vegan white chocolate
My shortbread cookie dough recipe is a really versatile recipe and just perfect for a project like this since it won’t spread in the oven and it tastes amazing!
Just be careful with the fresh flowers that you choose
Most flowers are not edible and can be toxic
It’s best to use organic edible flowers whenever possible
But otherwise be sure to dip the stems in white chocolate to shield the flower from the edible cream part
And then just let everyone know the flowers are for decor only
Most people already know this, but it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Alternatively you can use all buttercream decor for a completely edible letter cake!
For more Saint Patrick’s Day Recipes click the links below!
If you want to make the entire Cream Tart with the chocolate dough, double the recipe
- For the Cookie Dough
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Aquafaba 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Lemon Extract *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon Zest 1 lemon approximately 2 teaspoons
- 1 recipe Buttercream of your Choice
- For the Chocolate Shortbread Dough:
- All Purpose Flour 1 cups (125g)
- Cocoa Powder ½ cup
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoons
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter ½ cup (112g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (200g)
- Aquafaba 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Vanilla Extract ½ teaspoon
- For the Quick Royal Icing to Decorate the cookies:
- Confectioners Sugar 1½ cups
- Aquafaba 1-2 Tablespoons
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- For the Dough: *The chocolate dough will be mixed the same way
- Cream the shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3- 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, the aquafaba and the extracts to the creaming butter/sugar mixture and then stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl
- Next sift together the flour baking powder and salt and add it all at once to the creamed mixture. Mix just until it is all combined.
- Wrap this dough disc in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before using or you can store it for up to 1 week wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for 2 months.
- You must re work this dough with some additional flour to a pliable consistency after it has been chilled. Do not skip this step.
- Knead it with some flour until it is no longer a crumbly mass, but a soft pliable dough
- Roll out the dough to ¼" thick and cut shapes as desired
- Bake on a parchment lined sheet pan in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cutouts are golden browned and baked through *it's difficult to say exactly since all shapes and sizes of cookie bake differently
- For the Royal Icing
- Add the aquafaba and vanilla extract to the sifted confectioners sugar and mix well, adjust the consistency with more aquafaba for a runnier icing or more confectioners sugar for a stiffer icing. Add color as desired
- Prepare the Buttercream recipe as per the instructions on the recipe you choose then assemble the cake as shown in the video