Whiskey and Donuts.
Who would have thought?
But seriously these Irish Whiskey Donuts are the bomb diggity!
Don’t be discouraged by the Whiskey in the recipe, after all it is St. Patrick’s Day!
Not to mention the alcohol bakes out and what you are left with is a really deep, rich layer of flavor that only whiskey can impart to a recipe.
A splash added to my Best Vegan Buttercream Recipe are you will thank me for this, you’ll see!
But of course for those who do not do alcohol in any way shape or form, you can use all milk in place of the whiskey here.
If a Vanilla Donut is what you are after, then simply leave out the coco powder and replace it with that same amount of flour.
or confectioners icing glaze: at 1 cup confectioners sugar and add 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk to desired consistency.
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (125g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder Unsweetened ¼ cup (20g)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Almond Milk ¼ cup (60ml)
- Irish Whiskey ¼ cup (60ml)
- Ground Flax Seed 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- Hot Water 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Coconut Oil Melted 4 teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Combine ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes to thicken to a paste
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond milk, whiskey, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar and flax egg and whisk smooth
- Add the sifted flour, cocoa powder, salt & baking soda and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 10 minutes
- They will spring back when gently pressed in the centers
- Cool then ice with buttercream or sugar glaze as shown in the video