I am so thrilled that I literally duplicated
My famous Bakery Italian Cheesecake into a vegan version!
If you have ever tried Italian Cheesecake you will know that it is not at all like a New York Style Cheesecake.
Italian Cheesecake is made with ricotta cheese so the texture is very different!
Although I do use both cream cheese and ricotta cheese in my recipe
The prominent flavor and texture is that of the ricotta cheese
I have a hard time explaining what Italian Cheesecake tastes like since it may come off sounding strange
Which is why I prefer people just taste it!
Italian Cheesecake is a much lighter cheesecake and actually tastes kinda moist.
I know that sounds odd
But compared to the more dry, dense characteristics of the NY Style Cheesecake
Italian Cheesecake is going to have a much more moist mouthfeel.
My recipe is scented with lemon and orange zest, vanilla and a hint of cinnamon.
Probably the best description is it is actually just like a cannoli, but in cheesecake form!
Paired perfectly with my Vegan Cannoli or simply have a slice all alone
Truthfully it needs nothing because this cheesecake is just perfect the way it is!
You will notice there is also no crust since the authentic Italian recipe does not either
Notes for Success:
When measuring cornstarch I cannot stress enough that a kitchen scale is the best way to go.
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume spoons measure
So while I list both measures below I cannot stress enough how the grams measure with a scale is going to give you the best results.
Many times people have complained that their cheesecake is like rubber and they don’t know why!
This is from a heavy measure of cornstarch when using volume measuring spoon vs the 100% accurate scale measure in grams.
I only use Tofutti Cream Cheese for my BAKED recipes.
I have not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes.
For some reason the other more expensive brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
You can leave out the egg replacer altogether and just add 1 more teaspoon of cornstarch instead
For a step by step video visual be sure to watch the YouTube video!
For more recipes using homemade tofu ricotta click the links below
- Firm Tofu 20 ounces lightly squeezed to release excess water (560g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese *I use Tofutti Brand 12 ounces (340g)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cups (300g)
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons (56g)
- Cornstarch 6 Tablespoons (48g) *see notes above
- All Purpose Flour ¼ cup (31g)
- Egg Replacer 1 Tablespoon *optional *i use Bob's Red Mill see notes above recipe in text
- Plant Milk 1 cup (237ml) * I use soy but any will be fine here
- Vegan Lactic Acid or Apple Cider Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 1 Tablespoon
- Ground Cinnamon ⅛ teaspoon *literally a small pinch!
- Lemon Zest from 1 small lemon approximately 1½ teaspoons
- Orange Zest from 1 medium orange approximately 2 teaspoons
- First prepare the "ricotta cheese" by placing the drained, lightly squeezed of excess water tofu in the food processor and process to the same texture as ricotta.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process smooth
- Pour into a greased and parchment lined 8" cake pan and bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven after 1 hour and let the cheesecake stay inside for another 30 minutes to cool, Then cool completely on the counter
- Then refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set (or overnight).
- Unmold the cheesecake and turn out onto a serving plate (remove the parchment paper circle) garnish with powdered sugar, vegan whipped cream and optional cannoli