While Pecan Pie often makes us think of Fall and Winter Baking
These Pecan Pie Rugelach are pretty fantastic all year round!
Cream cheese pastry rolled up with pecan pie filling for the most delicious bites sized treat ever!
I love this cookie dough recipe so much!
It is so soft and pliable and rolls like pie dough, but with a cookie texture once it’s baked!
Rugelach can be filled with an endless variety of nuts and jams
I’ve made Chocolate Raspberry and Poppy Seed too!
NOTES FOR SUCCESS:
I only use Tofutti Cream Cheese for my BAKED recipes *not sponsored
I have not had success with any other brand in BAKED recipes; for some reason some other brands I’ve tried have broken down into an oily mess when baked.
However more recently some of my viewers have commented on some of those brands that now seem to work in baked recipes
One noted having success with Violife, another person stated they used Miyokos original and it turned out divine
While in the UK, the Asda supermarket brand works great
When I created this recipe Follow Your Heart Egg Replacer was the most popular on the market.
It has since changed it’s formula not to mention is not very available to many people so I now use super flax egg for the egg replacer
2 Tablespoons of ground flax meal combined with 4 Tablespoons liquid aquafaba
If you do not use aquafaba you can simply use water to reconstitute the flax
For more great cookie recipes click the links below!
For the cookie dough:
- All Purpose Flour 2½ cup (312g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese 8 ounce package (226g)
- Vegan Lactic Acid *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup
- Vegan Egg by FYH 2 Tablespoons *see note above
- Cold Water ¼ cup (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
For the filling:
- Veqan Butter 6 tablespoons (56g)
- Pecans lightly roasted 8 ounces (2 heaping cups)
- Candied Orange 6 slices
- Or zest from 2 oranges *see note above
- Light Brown Sugar 8 Tablespoons (100g)
- Cinnamon 1½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling
- Cream the vegan butter and cream cheese together to smooth
- Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the vegan egg with the cold water and whisk smooth then add the vanilla extract to that
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix
- Sift the flour with the baking powder then add it all at once to the mixer and mix on low speed to combine.
- Wrap the dough into 2 separate equal discs and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by combining the candied orange slices (or zest), brown sugar, lightly roasted pecans and cinnamon in a food processor and process to a fine meal
- Once the dough has relaxed and is chilled, knead it (one disc at a time) on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle that is 6" by 18"
- Brush with 3Tbs of the melted vegan butter and then spread half of the pecan filling evenly and roll up jelly roll style
- Cut the log into 24 equal pieces (I know I said 16 in the video, but 24 is a better size) and place them on a sheet pan spaced about 1" apart
- Brush with 1 Tbs of melted vegan butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Repeat the process with the other half of dough and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 minutes until golden browned
Rugelach cookies stay fresh for up to 4days in an airtight container at room temperature
Rugelach can be frozen for up to 2 months wrapped well to prevent drying