S’mores Cake Roll ~ Graham crackers, chocolate and toasted marshmallows is what summer is made of!
I don’t know how you feel about it, but vegan cake rolls can be a nightmare!
Traditional roll cakes are primarily foamed egg cake recipes which gives them the flexibility needed to roll without cracking.
Vegan cakes obviously have no eggs and are typically more moist by nature so our ability to roll up an egg-less cake can be quite difficult to say the least!
But this cake rolls up like a dream!
Filled with chocolate ganache and then slathered with vegan marshmallow that is toasted to perfection
Aquafaba is that magical chickpea water that makes unbelievable marshmallow a.k.a meringue!
By simply whipping the water from a can of chickpeas, or from the boiling water from dry chickpeas
In minutes you will have thick glossy billowy marshmallows!
Your summer just got a whole lot better!
Notes for Success:
If you do not have cream of tartar the aquafaba will still whip up, it just will not be as stable
Be sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature before beginning
Prepare a half sheet pan 12″ x 18″ with grease & parchment liner and also lightly spray the parchment paper top after lining the pan
Cornstarch is a very difficult ingredient to measure consistently with a volume/spoons measure
So while I list both measures below I cannot stress enough how the grams measure with a scale is going to give you the best results.
Many times people have complained that their custard is like rubber and they don’t know why!
This is from a heavy measure of cornstarch when using volume measuring spoon vs the 100% accurate scale measure in grams.
If you do not have graham crackers you can use digestive biscuits equally successfully
For more recipes using aquafaba click the links below!
- Vegan Butter 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (225gg)
- Flax Meal 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Hot Water 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Plant Milk *I use soy milk 1 cup (237ml)
- White Vinegar 1 Tablespoon (15ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoon (10ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cups (190g)
- Graham Cracker Crumbs crushed to fine crumbs 1 cup (100g)
- Baking Powder 4 teaspoons
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Cornstarch 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- 1 Recipe Vegan Ganache
For the Marshmallow Topping:
- Aquafaba ½ cup (118ml)
- Confectioners Sugar ½ cup (60g)
- Cream of Tartar ¼ teaspoon *see notes above
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- First prepare the cake batter by combining the flax meal with the hot water. Whisk smooth, set aside to thicken for 5 minutes
- Combine the plant milk with the vinegar and the vanilla extract, set aside
- Sift all of the remaining dry ingredients together
- With the paddle attachment to your stand mixer or with your electric hand mixer cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light & fluffy, this will take about 3-5 minutes
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and then add the flax paste, whip on high speed for 3o seconds to emulsify
- Add 1/3 of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated
- Then add half of the liquids
- Another 1/3 of the dry, the remaining liquid then the last of the dry.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or when it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center
- While the cake is baking prepare the vegan ganache as per the instructions on that article, set it aside at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly
- Once the cake is cooled remove it gently from the pan, spread about 1 cup of the ganache over the cake and then roll it up jelly roll style.
- *I used about 1 cup medium crushed graham crackers for the filling as well, this is optional
- Refrigerate the cake to set for about 30minutes and then prepare teh marshmallow topping.
- Prepare the aquafaba meringue by whipping the cold aquafaba with the cream of tartar until frothy and starting to gain volume, then add the sifted confectioners sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time while whipping on high speed until thick and glossy peaks are formed.
- Ice the cake with the meringue as shown in the video or as desired and then with a blowtorch lightly toast the outside often cake
Smores cake roll can be kept at room temperature for 1 day, but for best results keep refrigerated until serving.
Smores Cake Roll will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week
You can freeze the cake roll un-iced for up to 1 month wrapped well to prevent drying