The Best Apple Pie Recipe happens to be the simplest.
In this day of “over the top everything” can we just bring it back to a really simple, really pure, really amazing apple pie?
Please and Thank you.
There is nothing more to say about it, so let’s just get to the recipe!
- For the Pie Crust:
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Sugar 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter Cold 9 Tablespoons (126g)
- Shortening or Solid Coconut Oil 6 Tablespoons (84g)
- Liquid Vegetable or Coconut Oil 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Cold Water 4½ Tablespoons (66ml)
- For the Apple Filling:
- 8- 10 Medium Baking Apples - Your favorite variety, I used a combination of granny smith & macintosh (approx 6 cups slices apples)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Cinnamon 1½ teaspoons
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice ½ lemon (approx 2 teaspoons)
- Orange Juice ½ orange (approx 2 Tablespoons)
- All Purpose Flour 4 Tablespoons (31g)
- For the finishing:
- Aquafaba 4 Tablespoons
- Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling on top 3 teaspoons
- First prepare the pie dough first get the vegan butter and shortening or coconut oil to the freezer while you measure the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar into a food processor (or you can mix the entire recipe by hand with a pastry cutter or fork) process to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Add the cold vegan butter and the shortening or coconut oil and process until it is mealy and course crumbly texture.
- Add the cold water and the oil through the feed tube while pulsing and then process until a soft crumbly dough forms, but be careful not to process to a paste!
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and gather the dough together by hand and knead the fragments the rest of the way to a soft ball that stays together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour to relax the dough and allow the flour to absorb through.
- Once chilled, divide the dough in half and roll ha;f of the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 12" diameter (¼" thick) and line your un-greased pie plate.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- For the apple filling, peel, core and the slice the apples to approx ¼" thick slices.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the butter with the apples and toss to combine well.
- Pour into raw pie shell and place the butter in small pieces scattered on top
- Roll out the other portion of pie dough and cover the apples sealing the edge and the top crust with some of the aquafaba.
- Brush the top crust with the remaining aquafaba and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Make a few steam slits in the top of the crust
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven for 20 minutes then turn oven down to 325°F for the remaining time, approximately 45 minutes total bake time.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of the apples goes in easily but does not seem mushy, and you may see some slight bubbling juices around the edges
- Be careful not to over bake to the point of applesauce!
- Cool for at least 1 hour
- Serve warm or cold it is your choice
Refrigerate for longer storage up to 1 week.
Raw pie can be frozen for up to 2 months wrapped well, thaw completely before baking
Check out this chart for help in choosing apples based on sweetness level!
For more about How to Bake the Perfect Pie CLICK HERE FOR SOME PRO TIPS!!