The Best Apple Pie Recipe happens to be the simplest.
In this day of “over the top everything” can we just bring it back to a really simple, really pure, really amazing apple pie?
Please and Thank you.
There is nothing more to say about it, so let’s just get to the recipe!
- For the Pie Crust:
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Sugar 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter Cold 9 Tablespoons (126g)
- Shortening or Solid Coconut Oil 6 Tablespoons (84g)
- Liquid Vegetable or Coconut Oil 3 Tablespoons (45ml)
- Cold Water 4½ Tablespoons (66ml)
- For the Apple Filling:
- 8- 10 Medium Baking Apples - Your favorite variety, I used a combination of granny smith & macintosh (approx 6 cups slices apples)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Cinnamon 1½ teaspoons
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice ½ lemon (approx 2 teaspoons)
- Orange Juice ½ orange (approx 2 Tablespoons)
- All Purpose Flour 4 Tablespoons (31g)
- For the finishing:
- Aquafaba 4 Tablespoons
- Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling on top 3 teaspoons
- First prepare the pie dough first get the vegan butter and shortening or coconut oil to the freezer while you measure the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar into a food processor (or you can mix the entire recipe by hand with a pastry cutter or fork) process to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Add the cold vegan butter and the shortening or coconut oil and process until it is mealy and course crumbly texture.
- Add the cold water and the oil through the feed tube while pulsing and then process until a soft crumbly dough forms, but be careful not to process to a paste!
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and gather the dough together by hand and knead the fragments the rest of the way to a soft ball that stays together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour to relax the dough and allow the flour to absorb through.
- Once chilled, divide the dough in half and roll ha;f of the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 12" diameter (¼" thick) and line your un-greased pie plate.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- For the apple filling, peel, core and the slice the apples to approx ¼" thick slices.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the butter with the apples and toss to combine well.
- Pour into raw pie shell and place the butter in small pieces scattered on top
- Roll out the other portion of pie dough and cover the apples sealing the edge and the top crust with some of the aquafaba.
- Brush the top crust with the remaining aquafaba and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Make a few steam slits in the top of the crust
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven for 20 minutes then turn oven down to 325°F for the remaining time, approximately 45 minutes total bake time.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of the apples goes in easily but does not seem mushy, and you may see some slight bubbling juices around the edges
- Be careful not to over bake to the point of applesauce!
- Cool for at least 1 hour
- Serve warm or cold it is your choice
Refrigerate for longer storage up to 1 week.
Raw pie can be frozen for up to 2 months wrapped well, thaw completely before baking
For more about How to Bake the Perfect Pie CLICK HERE FOR SOME PRO TIPS!!