Look no further your search is over!
Quite possibly the most sought after recipe from my pre-vegan days!
The Tropical Carrot Cake recipe was one of the recipes that put me on the map!
Tropical Carrot Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese icing!
With an amazing new improved recipe for Cream Cheese Icing
It’s shelf stable, no refrigeration required because there is not a stitch of vegan cream cheese needed!
Both the recipes for the cake and the cream cheese icing are one bowl mixes and no mixers required!
With pineapple and toasted coconut for a tropical flareor use the traditional measurements listed below for walnuts and raisins!
Bake this batter into cupcakes, sheet cakes, layers cakes and even loaves!
You will get almost 24 cupcakes out of this recipe!
Just fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at same temperature but for maybe just about 18-25 minutes?
Notes for Success:
For the traditional version you will substitute walnuts and raisins for the pineapple and coconuts listed below
This cake is sufficiently sugared enough and doesn’t need more sugar from the coconut; so I use unsweetened coconut
But if you cannot find unsweetened coconut don’t worry, it will not greatly effect the recipe
Changing Pan Sizes
This recipe will make 2-8″ Layers / 3- 7″ layers or 1 – 9″ X 9″ sheet cake
If you want to make 9″ x 13″ layers you will get one thinner layer out of all the batter in the recipe below
For a two layer 9″ X 13″ cake you will have to double the recipes listed below
For the Carrot Cake Recipe:
- Vegetable Oil ¾ cup (177ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cup + 2 tablespoons (200g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1¾ teaspoons
- Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- Carrots 4 med ~approx 2 cups (250g)
- Crushed canned pineapple drained ¾ cup
- Orange Zest & Juice from ¼ large orange approx 1 Tablespoon juice & 1 teaspoon zest
- Toasted Unsweetened Coconut ¾ cup
- 1 Recipe 2-2-2 Cream Cheese Icing
- First prepare your cake pan(s) with parchment paper lining & pan grease
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- In a large bowl combine the both sugars with the oil, vanilla extract, orange zest & juice and the salt, whisk smooth
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the sugar mixture in the bowl and whisk smooth
- Add the grated carrots and very well drained pineapple and then the toasted coconut then mix smooth
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F in a preheated oven for approximately 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans
- Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs not raw batter.
- Cool the cakes in the pans until they are cool to the touch, then flip them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely
- Meanwhile prepare the cream cheese icing according to the recipe on that post
- Assemble the cake as shown in the video or as you desire
Carrot cake that is iced with the 2-2-2 cream cheese icing does not need refrigeration and will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days, for longer storage refrigerate for up to 1 week