If soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are what you are after
This recipe for Chubby and Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies is going to become your new love affair!
Thick, dense, soft inside with a slight crispy crunch on the outside
And stays chewy for days!
Of course mine never last for days though!
If you are not a fan of thick and chewy cookies though, a simple solution is to flatten them out before baking.
But who on earth doesn’t like chubby and chewy cookies!?
Notes for Success:
I’ve recently been saving some money on vegan butter as I have switched from super bougie Earth Balance
To half the price Country Crock Olive Oil sticks with really great results!
I am using flax meal as the egg replacer here
As I have reverted back to this more available ingredient rather than rely on a proprietary blend that many people could not get
Be sure to weigh your flour if possible
Since a heavy hand measuring flour with a cups volume measure can produce really inconsistent results
The universal accepted measure for one cup of flour is 120g
You would surprised to see the difference when you dip in with a cup and weigh it
Most people get closer to 150g which as you can tell will throw off the entire recipe with all that additional flour that was not meant to be there!
Leaving you with a heavy dry cookie that is nothing close to what the author (me) intended!
So once you get a handle on the measuring of the ingredients it’s an easy mix
Then just scoop them direct and bake them in those perfect mounds without pressing them down
This will keep their thick chubby stature!
But if thinner crispier cookies are what you are after
Simply press the cookies slightly before baking and they will be thinner and crispier
For more of the best vegan cookies recipes click the links below!
In the video I did mention I prefer the flax "eggs" as listed below in the recipe
- Vegan Butter or margarine 2 sticks (1 cup) (226g)
- Vegan Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Vegan Light Brown Sugar 1 cup (210g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Ground Flax Meal 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot water ½ cup (120ml)
- All Purpose Flour 3½ cups (455g)
- Baking Soda 1¾ teaspoons (8g)
- Vegan Chocolate Chips 3 cups (510g)
- In the bowl of the Kitchen Aid Mixer or with a hand beater, cream the vegan buter and both sugars with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. About 3 -5 minutes
- Meanwhile steep the hot water and ground flax in a small bowl and let stand to thicken
- Combine the flax paste with the vanilla extract together and slowly add to the creaming mixture on medium speed being sure to mix well in between additions. Stop the mixer every so often and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Then whip it on high speed to emulsify for 10seconds
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together, then add to the mixer all at once and mix on low speed just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and combine well.
- With a 2 ounce cookie scoop (or simply drop dough by the heaping tablespoon) onto a parchment lined sheet pan spaced about 2 inches apart.
- Do not press the dough so they stay chubby and chewy!
- But for crisper cookies flatten then out slightly before baking
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until light golden browned.