Cheesecake was always my favorite dessert from my non-vegan days
So naturally I have spent most of my days testing and tasting as many vegan cheesecake recipes as possible to bring you the best one ever!
And here it is!
Vegan Double Chocolate Cheesecake!
In my opinion an acceptable vegan cheesecake recipe is hard to find
I have found almost every recipe was made from soaked cashew nuts as the base
Which while that is a good dessert, to me it is not really a cheesecake
To me it’s just more of a molded “nut cream cake”
Insert laughing emoji here.
Don’t get me wrong, I have made these molded nut cream cakes before
I just don’t really like to call them cheesecakes
But enough about that, let’s get to the real deal authentic New York Style Cheesecake Recipe that I have perfected for you today!
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
In the style of Daiya.
You know those tiny little teaser cheesecakes you find in your supermarket freezer section that are overpriced and just “meh…”
If you haven’t yet had the Daiya brand, skip it.
Just make your own.
My baked Vegan Cheesecake Recipes are the best around and they are super easy to make because you literally just throw everything into a food processor and blend!
One important note before you start though is that I use Tofutti Brand Vegan Cream Cheese for all my baked recipes
I have dabbled with the other more expensive brands and none of them have worked!
At least not for baked recipes.
This recipe can also be made gluten free simply by using gluten free sandwich cookies of your choice for the crust!
Or just skip the crust altogether if you can’t easily find gluten free cookies in your supermarket
Just be sure to use that parchment paper lining to make sure the cheesecake will come out of the pan!
(Because as we all know I do not prefer spring form pans! Click here to know why!)
- For the Crust:
- Vegan Chocolate Sandwich Cookies 12
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- For the Cheesecake Batter:
- Vegan Cream Cheese 1-8ounce package (226g) * I only use Tofutti Brand for baking
- Medium or Firm Tofu half package drained 7ounces
- Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate 4 ounces (113g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Cornstarch 2 Tablespoons (20g)
- Natural unsweetened Cocoa Powder 2 Tablespoons (
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Lactic Acid 1 teaspoon (or 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Soy milk ¾ cup
- Prepare the crust by crushing the sandwich cookies (with cream fillings) in a food processor and then add the melted vegan butter
- Press it into the greased and parchment lined 7" cake pan and freeze while you prepare the cheesecake batter
- Place all cheesecake ingredients except for the milk & the chocolate and vegan butter into the food processor and process smooth
- Melt the chocolate with the vegan butter over a low heat stirring constantly (or in the microwave) and then add it to the other ingredients in the food processor.
- Process smooth while pouring the milk alternative through the feed tube while processing to a smooth batter
- Pour batter into prepared pan with the cookie crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours to set before unmolding
- Decorate as you like, or leave it plain.
- I used about 1 cup of my Vegan Buttercream recipe with a small amount of ganache to make it chocolate, this is completely optional.
Store refrigerated for up to 1 week
Freeze, wrapped well for up to 2 months