Just when I thought my cheesecake recipes couldn’t get any better, I introduce to you Vegan German Chocolate Cheesecake.
Super chocolate-y and creamy cheesecake piled with Coconut Pecan German Chocolate topping.
Many people are confused as to just what German Chocolate is, and are surprised to find out it is merely coconut,caramel and pecan topping (or filling for cakes).
It makes sense when you think about it though, because although I have never been to Germany I would wage a pretty hefty bet that there are no coconuts growing there.
The history behind this recipe and it’s name stems from German’s Chocolate. Which is a brand of chocolate.
Way back in the 1950’s a Texas newspaper was running a contest for who could come up with the best recipe using German’s brand chocolate.
Well Mrs George Clay (interesting how they didn’t use HER name but her husbands name to identify her? LOL Oh those crazy 1950-ians!), at any rate thank you for the recipe!
So if coconut, caramel and pecans are your thing, then this Vegan German Chocolate Cake will fast become one of your favorites!
I’ve served my vegan cheesecakes to many non vegans and they are absolutely stunned that it is not the “real deal”
So fear not for serving this to the masses, you will win hearts with this one for sure!
- For the Cheesecake:
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 package (16oz) (454g)
- Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate 1 cup (6 ounces)
- Vegan Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Cornstarch 2 Tablespoons (20g)
- Cocoa Powder 2 Tablespoons (12g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Lactic Acid 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Milk Alternative scant ¾ cup
- For the Crust:
- Vegan Chocolate Sandwich cookies 12
- Vegan Butter 2 tablespoons
- For the German Chocolate Topping:
- Dates 6 ounces (approx 1 cup packed)
- Almond Milk ½ cup (120ml)
- Hot Water 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Shredded Sweetened Coconut 1 cup
- Toasted Pecans ¾ cup
- First prepare the crust by grinding the cookies in a food processor until fine. Add the melted vegan butter and process to the consistency of wet sand.
- Press into the bottom of a greased and parchment lined 7" cake pan and freeze while you prepare the filling
- For the cheesecake combine the vegan chocolate and soy milk in a sauce pot over low heat and melt while stirring constantly, whisk smooth
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk smooth
- Combine all the cheesecake ingredients together in a food processor along with the chocolate mixture (no need to cool) and process smooth
- Pour into the prepared crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 335°F oven for 1 hour
- Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake cool in the oven
- Refrigerate overnight
- The next day unmold the cheesecake and prepare the German Chocolate Topping by combining the dates, hot water, almond milk and salt in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend smooth then fold in the coconut and toasted pecans
- Top the cheesecake with the topping and serve
Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days