Tired of the vegan cake roll game giving you a hard time? Yeah me too.
So I’ve come up with a hack that will make your vegan cake roll life a major success.
Hold onto your pantyhose all you haters saying “What? Box Cake? how dare you!”
I’m done struggling with the vegan cake roll recipes that just end up cracking as soon as you start to roll them.
Filling squishing out endlessly~ no thanks!
So for me I am not opposed to using a box cake hack now and again
Not to mention my box cake hack is the ultimate of ultimate!
With a few tweaks to the mix and of course matcha powder
This website may contain links as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, which means when you click a link and make a purchase through my website I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you
Notes for Success:
I have several options for homemade Vegan Whipped Cream right here on my website
You will need 2 full cups of fully whipped cream to fill this cake
I use Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer & add it straight to the dry ingredients *not sponsored
You can use any egg replacer you prefer, for flax meal: Use 1 Tbs flax meal : 3 Tbs warm water
For the Box Hack Recipe~ WHITE CAKE:
- 1 Duncan Hines White Cake Box Mix
- Vegetable Oil 1/3 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Plant Milk *I use soy milk 2/3 cup
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup
- Egg replacer 2 Tablespoons *see ntoes
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Matcha Powder 6 teaspoons
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup
- Apple Sauce 2 Tablespoons
For the Chai Whipped Cream:
- 1 Recipe Vegan Whipped Cream of your choice you will need 2 full cups whipped
- OR 2 Pints Silk Brand Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream
- Confectioners Sugar ½ cup (60g)
- 5 teaspoons Chai Masala *recipe listed below
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease & parchment line your cake 12" x 18" sheet pan
- In a large mixing bowl mix all the additional dry ingredients including the sugar listed above into the box cake mix, whisk to combine evenly
- Add all the liquid ingredients including the applesauce.
- Mix on low to blend together evenly then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the greased & parchment lined sheet pan and spread evenly
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20minutes or until it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center.
- Or insert a toothpick to the center and if it comes out with moist crumbs, not raw batter it is ready!
- Cool cake completely before filling with chai whipped cream
- Whip 4 cups of liquid vegan whipping cream along with the chai masala and confectioners sugar to your liking
- *I usually add ¼ cup of confectioners sugar to each pint of heavy whipping cream
- Whip to medium peaks then spread over the cooled cake roll and roll up
- Refrigerate to set then sprinkle with powdered sugar and additional rosettes of chai spiced whipped cream for garnish
Green Tea Matcha Cake Roll filled with whipped cream must be kept refrigerated at all times.
It will stay fresh loosely wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- 8 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all the spices together or sift for an even distribution
- Store in a glass jar with a tight lid in a cool, dry, dark place
Bulk Masala Spice can be stored in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid at room temperature for up to 6 months to a 1 year