The cake version of the Starbucks white chocolate mocha latte!
Now you can eat your favorite drink with this White Cranberry Mocha Latte Cake
Veganized, upgraded and so delicious!
White chocolate cake layers, homemade cranberry filling and mocha buttercream icing!
The perfect addition to your holiday table this winter!
The white chocolate cake and tart cranberry compote are a perfect pair
With a subtle back note of mocha that just screams sophistication.
I love my cranberry sauce recipe so much that I try to put it in everything!
So why not give it one more go around and use it as the filling for this cake!
The taste of this cake altogether with the cranberry, mocha and white chocolate is truly out of this world!
This is quite a large cake with four prominent cake layers and three layers of filling.
The ultimate 7 Layer cake right here!
You can of course cut down all the recipes to half batches and make a smaller version of this cake in any shape cake pans you like.
The rule of thumb with pretty much all cake batter recipes is as long as you fill the cake pans no more than half full you will be good to go!
I am baking into sheet pans obviously to get the rectangle shape for this finished cake
This same amount of batter will give you 3- beautiful 7″ cake layers instead.
As well as two thicker 8″ cake layers if you only have 8″ cake pans.
Aquaflaxa Buttercream was my choice for the icing on this one today
But you can use any buttercream recipe you like the best for this cake.
Flax buttercream stays an off white color, compared to the other two which get more white, the American style being the whitest.
Notes for Success:
This recipe was developed early in my vegan baking career and I have since made this cake with Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer instead of the EnerGy egg replacer I have listed below
You can use another egg replacer of your choice in the same quantity listed withe the same method as for the EnerGy egg
Cake flour is being used but if you do not have cake flour you can use all~ all purpose flour in the total amount of 360g total weight or 2¾ cups total volume
FOR THE FULL YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE CLICK HERE!
For more cranberry recipes click the links below!
Cranberry Apple Strudel Recipe
Cranberry Mocha Fudge Brownies
I am using cranberry moscato wine for the cranberry recipe, but you can use all cranberry or cherry juice or even water instead
- For the Cake Layers
- Grease and parchment line 4- ⅛ sheet pans and preheat the oven to 350°F
- For the Cake:
- Cake Flour 3 cups (360g)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cup (300g)
- Baking Powder 3 teaspoons (15g)
- EnerG Egg Replacer 3 teaspoons (10g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 9 Tablespoons (126g)
- Soy Milk 1 cup (237ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Vegan White Chocolate 6ounces (approx 1 cup chopped) (168g)
- For the Cranberry Compote:
- 1 12 ounce bag Cranberries
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Cranberry Juice or Cranberry Moscato Wine 1 cup (237ml)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Star Anise Pods 4
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Orange Zest and Juice from 1 large orange
- For the Buttercream:
- 1 Recipe Flax Meringue Buttercream or Aquafaba Buttercream Or American Buttercream
- Instant Coffee granules 2 teaspoons
- Cocoa Powder 1 Tablespoon (12g)
- Hot Water 2 Tablespoons (45ml)
- For the cake batter:
- Melt the white chocolate and set aside
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, EnerG egg replacer, and salt in a mixer bowl and sift it together or mix on low to combine.
- Add the softened vegan butter and mix for about 1 minute until it resembles coarse meal and is evenly incorporated
- Add the vanilla extract and then slowly pour in the soy milk while mixing on low to medium speed until it is all incorporated then increase the speed to medium-high for 1 minute to develop the batter
- Add the melted white chocolate and mix to combine
- Divide the batter into greased and parchment lined cake pans
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes or until they springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool the cakes while you prepare the cranberry compote
- For the Cranberry Compote:
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot, combine all the liquids with the sugar and spices and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Squeeze in the juice of that orange and the zest
- Add the cranberries and then return to a boil.
- Lower the temperature to a simmer for 15 -20 minutes, the sauce will begin to thicken and the berries will begin to pop.
- Discard the anise pods and add the vanilla extract
- Cool in refrigerator while you prepare the buttercream
- For the buttercream:
- Prepare as per the instructions on the recipe you chose, then divide the buttercream into 2 bowls (1/3 for the mocha filling and ⅔ for the icing) and add the mocha paste to the smaller portion by combining the hot water with the coffee and cocoa powder and whisk smooth
- Assemble cake as shown in the video
For longer storage keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Freeze wrapped well for up to 2 months
This cake looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it. Question. Can I substitute the melted white chocolate for white chocolate powder? If so how much should I use?
yes but you will have to reconstitute it or you will be missing some ingredients to make this cake moist. I have never used white chocolate powder, but I will assume it will reconstitute like regular?
By adding water or oil or both? Thanks for this new product heads up! I think I will try some (I wonder if it has milk powder in it 🙁
if i am not vegan shud i use same quantities of regular milk eggs and butter ?
How many eggs should be replaced the egg replacer powder?
Original recipe here at https://www.gretchensbakery.com/white-chocolate-raspberry-mousse-cake/
I bought the king David’s white chocolate. There’s no instructions on the containers for how melt, use.
Is it just simple double-boiler method or what?
Also can I add oil-based flavorings without problem?
yes, just like regular chocolate, gently over double boiler- or I hit it for 15 seconds at a time in the micro. Yes you should be able to add the oil based flavor no prob (I have not done that – so be sure to test just a small amount first) you never know!
In making real white chocolate truffles(with cocoa butter) what’s the best way to cool them–in fridge or at room temp? Thank you!
I like to do it at room temp because refrigerating (in my opinion) makes the truffle ganache too hard and harder to work with to roll them, but you can do it of course. Its really just preference and the time you have to allow it to cool to set at room temp
We don’t get the mentioned egg replacer ,so what could be substitued in that place & can we use normal flour in place of cake flour
What kind of egg replacer do you get? Yes to AP Flour
very dry 🙁 what could I have done wrong? I only tasted after the cake had been refrigerated for a day but it was double wrapped in cling wrap before chilling.
this is a more dry style cake for sure, and eating it cold will definitely make it seem more “dry” when it is actually just COLD. I recommend to bring to room temperature before eating this type of cake.
** this cake is my bf’s favorite, since he cannot stand the moist (and what he calls “gummy”) cake texture from most vegan cakes. So this one for him is the best. I suppose it is all preference, but I say that all to say that I am not sure you did anything wrong per say, it is the style of this cake to be more like a sponge cake
Huh okay! Yeah I’ve never had a sponge cake so I didn’t know to expect that. Thanks Gretchen!
I was wondering if it was possible to make this cake without the white chocolate? I love the final texture and drier crumb you were able to achieve here, but I’m not the biggest fan of white chocolate. Is there a way to use this cake-making technique (I believe you’re using the reverse creaming method, but correct me if I’m wrong!) to make a regular vanilla sponge? I know I can’t simply remove the chocolate and expect the same results, so I would love to hear any advice you have!
Much love! 🙂
Hey thanks, yes correct reverse creaming. I have not tired this recipe without the chocolate (meaning this did not stem from a recipe and then I added the chocolate) So to take it out, we have to add something simialr.
Think about what white chocolate adds: Sweetness/sugar. Fat/ cocobutter/ the white chocolate is also what adds to that “dryness” since after it’s all done and baked it will help to keep that “dense-ness” that is characteristic of a pound cake textured cake.
So… this would be an experiment for sure, not one I am sure YOU want to do.. LOL
But I would start there, sub for all those characteristics you are taking out.
Let me know if you do!
Do you have a chocolate cake recipe with similar texture to this one? ^_^ I liked it so much, it is just like the cake from grocery stores that I love.
Hey Gretchen, could you please let me know what could I substitute the egg replacer for since it’s not quiet easily available.
yes! You can use flax meal with aquafaba (or water if you prefer) 1 Tbs Flax meal reconstituted with 3Tbs hot AF or water – keep everything else the same 🙂
Could you use melted cocoa butter instead of chocolate?