So what’s all the hype about?
Maybe you have seen it, the most recent trending viral video from Tasty where Alvin Zhou makes his famous 100 hour brownies!
If you are like me, you are wondering how on earth anyone can wait 100 hours for a brownie??
But more importantly, WHY?
So I got right to testing various recipes and began my trek to the bottom of this.
I found out some very interesting things!
First things first though, I had to veganize the fudge brownie recipe!
If you watch the video attached to this recipe you will see the process and my opinions regarding this whole idea.
But for those who just don;t have time to sit through a 12 minute video I will give you the low down straight away.
There really was not much difference (in my opinion) between the brownie batter that sat in the refrigerator for 100 hours before baking vs. my super easy mix and bake in less than 1 hour fudge brownie recipe!
I honestly couldn’t tell the difference!
So perhaps we have been duped into believing all the hype that this amazing 100 hour brownie recipe is going to change your life or perhaps vegan brownies are just superior and start spewing magical goodness without making us wait days on end to enjoy the treasure!
Yeah, I think I’ll go with that answer!
But if you want to see for yourself, go ahead and make the recipe below just as I did over a span of 4 days.
Then make it again and bake them both at the same time.
I’d love to hear your comments if you do try the long version and comparison, but I think I already know your comments if you just go for the easy 1 hour recipe and have yourself some brownies ASAP!
Either way this is the best vegan fudge brownie recipe you will ever try!
If you are not resting the brownies for 100 hours before baking, preheat the oven to 350F
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder ⅔ teaspoon
- Salt ⅔ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar 11oz (311g) *this is about 1½ cups + 1 Tablespoon
- Vegan Butter 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- Molasses 4 teaspoons
- String Brewed Coffee 5½ fluid ounces (162ml)
- Semi Sweet Chocolate chunks 3 ounces (85g)
- Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (85g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Chocolate chunks for topping 3 ounces (85g)
- Chocolate Chips for the batter ⅔ cup
- Bring the vegan butter & molasses to a boil
- Add the cocoa powder & first measure of chocolate chunks and whisk to melt smooth
- Add the hot coffee and then transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the vanilla extract & the sugar
- Whisk smooth
- Sift the flour, baking powder & salt into the batter and stir just to combine, do not over mix
- Add the optional chocolate chips to the batter
- then spread into the greased & parchment lined sheet pan.
- Add the other measure of chocolate chunks to the top
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes **Or follow the video and wait 4 days (approx 100 hrs) before baking by storing the brownie in the refrigerator.
- Cool completely before cutting.
For longer storage, keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Freeze for up to 3 months