Love the flavors of Cassata Cake for Easter?
But you’re not up for the challenge of making the entire Cassata Cake?
Make Cassata Cupcakes!
Also known as Cannoli Cupcakes since the filling for these little beauties is my vegan cannoli recipe
The same awesome flavors of the traditional Italian Easter Cassata Cake
Only much easier in cupcake form!
All you need is the best vanilla cake recipe which happens to my one bowl super easy Bakery Style Yellow Cake
The best Vegan Cannoli Filling you will ever try, some buttercream
And those cute little marzipan cake toppers made from the best almond paste from Olive Nation!
BONUS! Olive Nation is offering 20% off your order of anything (not just almond paste) just for checking out my recipe today!
Discount Code GVB20 at checkout!
Notes for Success:
In the video I mentioned that I thought it could use more sugar in the cannoli filling
After one day in the refrigerator not only did I change my mind and decide the 1 cup as listed below is the perfect amount of sweetness
All the layers of flavor had time to meld together
These cupcakes were so much better on day two!
So I will absolutely recommend to make these a couple days ahead of time!
Up to 2 days in advance will be great since they just keep getting better as they sit (refrigerated of course!)
For this cake project I used high quality Olive Nation products
VANILLA BEAN PASTE
MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Don’t forget to check out Olive Nation for all the best ingredients to make this cake!
Get 20% off your order by entering GVB20 at checkout!
For more awesome cupcake recipes click the links below!
- 1 Recipe Bakery Yellow Cake baked into 20 cupcakes
- ½ Recipe No Shortening Buttercream
- For the Marzipan:
- Almond Paste 7ounces (195g)
- Confectioners Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Corn Syrup or Glucose Syrup 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Rose extract *optional ½ teaspoon
- For the Sweet Ricotta Filling:
- Firm Tofu 1 package 14ounces (390g)
- Confectioners Sugar 1 cup (120g)
- Vegan Mini Chocolate Chips 1 cup (130g)
- Orange zest 2 teaspoons
- Vanilla bean paste extract 2 teaspoons
- Vegan Whipped Cream 1 cup whipped volume
- For the Rum Syrup:
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Water ½ (118ml)
- Rum 4 Tbs (60ml)
- Rum Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Line your cupcake molds with paper liners
- Prepare the bakery style yellow cake recipe as instructed on that recipe post
- Divide the batter into the cupcake molds, filling ¾ full
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 300°F for another 5-10minutes or until the cakes are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- The toothpick test is another good indicator of done-ness
- Cool in the pan until you can touch them without burning yourself, then flip them onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way
- Meanwhile prepare your favorite buttercream recipe and separate about ½ cup for the buttercream roses decoration *optional
- Next prepare the simple syrup by bringing the sugar & water to a boil in a small sauce pot
- Once it boils, let it boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and add optional rum or rum extract
- Set aside to cool
- Next make the Marzipan dough by combining the almond paste with the corn syrup in your mixer bowl and cream smooth
- Add the sifted confectioners sugar & rose extract *if using and mix until it comes together like a smooth pliable dough
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap until ready to roll
- Roll the marzipan thin and cut out the cupcake toppers with a cookie cutter
- I used a blowtorch to lightly toast the edges of my marzipan decorations
- Next prepare the sweet ricotta cheese filling by gently squeezing out any excess water from the tofu (* I do not press it, just a gentle squeeze is good)
- Place it into your food processor and pulse until it resembles the thick creamy texture of ricotta cheese.
- Transfer the ricotta cheese to a large mixing bowl and add the sifted confectioners sugar, vanilla bean extract , orange zest and mini chocolate chips
- Whip the vegan whipped cream to medium peaks and fold into the ricotta cheese mixture
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Hollow out the cooled cupcakes and brush each one with about 1-2 tsps of the rum syrup
- Then fill them with about 2Tbs of the sweet ricotta filling
- Pipe a Buttercream ring onto the top and place the marzipan topper over that
- Pipe with chocolate decorations *optional & the roses with the remaining buttercream