Well which one is it?
A Carrot Cake or Apple Bread?
All four of those things in one recipe for Carrot Apple Cake Bread!
After all most quick breads that are baked into loaf pans are merely hi ratio batters posing as a healthier alternative to cake!
I think we just feel better about eating a few slices of sweet bread
Rather than sitting down to an entire slice of cake!
However you need to rationalize this out in your mind though
You will be happy you did because this Carrot Apple Cake Bread
Iced with cream cheese glaze is going to change your life!
It is a slightly modified version of my original Vegan Carrot Cake recipe which already has shredded apples in the batter
I’ve tightened it up a bit with some added flour and an extra boost of baking powder for that bread rise we all love.
By taking out some of the oil and replacing it with applesauce I’ve also lightened it up a bit. *read more below
Whether you like walnuts or not
This bread is super moist, loaded with apples and carrots and the egg replacer is flax
So you don’t have to go searching for some obscure ingredient!
It’s a one bowl mix so you don’t even have to break out your electric mixer!
The cream cheese glaze is completely optional but seriously is what takes this cake to new levels!
You can also bake this batter into muffins for a quick morning grab and go breakfast.
This recipe makes 2 smaller standard loaf pans (8.5 x 4.5 x 2.75 inches)
Unfortunately I just would have been too much to add all that batter for just one 8.5″ loaf pan
So I apologize in advance for the strange yield of this batter.
Cake layers are also an option for the most amazing Carrot Cake ever!
My original recipe for this was baked into 3- 7″ layers and filled and iced with the best vegan cream cheese icing you will ever try!
Notes for Success:
The applesauce addition is not necessary
However I use it as a nice way to lighten up an oil cake recipe.
A mashed banana is another option to take out some of that oil too
But for those who want to stick to the original recipe, just replace the applesauce with oil or melted vegan butter
I will say that this bread is pretty perfect with out the icing.
Although I am definitely a lover of icing I will say I did slightly regret it once I poured it on!
It just didn’t need it!
But you certainly can’t go back once you commit to the icing!
And believe me I fully committed!
Next time I will probably leave the cream cheese icing for a full carrot layer cake and let this bread stand alone
For more awesome quick bread and muffin recipes click the links below!
The mini loaves took about 20 minutes to bake at 350°F but the time will vary depending on the size of your pan. I always recommend to check your bread/cake at about 20-30 minutes to see how much longer they need or if they are done.
- Vegetable Oil 5 Tablespoons (75ml)
- Applesauce ½ cup (113g) *see note above recipe for information on substituting this ingredient
- Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Plant Milk 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Flax Meal 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoon (10ml)
- Fresh Ginger 1 teaspoon *optional ingredient
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Cinnamon 1¼ teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Shredded Carrots approx 3 medium for 2 cups
- Shredded Granny Smith Apple 1 small-medium for ¾ cup
- Lightly toasted walnuts ¾ cup *optional ingredient
- For the Icing: *optional
- Confectioner's Sugar ½ cup
- Vegan Cream Cheese ¼ cup
- Vegan Butter melted 2 teaspoons
- Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice fresh squeezed 2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Grease a loaf pan *see notes in text above the recipe for pan sizes with pan grease or oil spray.
- Combine the flax meal with the hot water and whisk smooth- reserve
- Shred the apple and carrots and reserve
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and whisk to combine evenly
- In another bowl combine the oil, applesauce, fresh ginger *optional, flax paste, vanilla extract, plant milk and both sugars. Whisk smooth then add to the dry ingredients in the bowl
- Whisk everything together by hand until evenly combined then add the shredded carrots & apples & walnuts
- Divide the batter into your loaf pans or whatever pans you are using. *see notes above in text for pan sizes.
- bake in preheated 375°F oven for 10 minutes then turn the temperature down to 350°F and continue to bake for another 30-35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist NOT RAW crumbs.
- Cool in the pan(s) until you can safely touch it with your fingers them turn the bread(s) out onto a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Once it is thoroughly cooled, combine the confectioners sugar with the vegan cream cheese, vanilla extract, lemon juice & melted vegan butter and whisk smooth, pour over the bread.
This is a very moist bread that can encourage fast molding, so it is best to keep this bread in the refrigerated for up to 1 week wrapped loosely.
This bread will freeze well for up to 2 months wrapped well