Coconut Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect summer dessert!
A tropical spin on the Classic Strawberry Shortcake!
It’s so incredibly easy to make with just two recipes
And one of them isn’t even a recipe if you take the easy route for vegan whipped cream
With all the different options for Vegan Whipped Cream you can really make your life easy by purchasing it rather than making it!
Naturally I have all the homemade options for you right here!
Since not everyone can get the same products depending on where you reside in the world
Here is the inside view of how I arranged the fruit between the layers
Of course you can assemble this cake anyway you like and even change whipped cream to buttercream if that’s easier!
Notes for Success:
I prefer to use unsweetened coconut flakes (desiccated coconut) so it does not add more sugar to the cake batter by using sweetened flake coconut
If you cannot get the unsweetened variety just take out 1½ Tbs sugar from the recipe
The recipe for the cake can be made by hand even though I state that I am using the food processor!
Egg replacer can be whatever dry blend store variety you prefer ~ I use Bob’s Red Mill * not sponsored
For more refreshing strawberry recipes click the links below!
For the Coconut Cake Layers
- Coconut Milk 1½ cup (350ml) *not the tinned variety
- Coconut Water or Water 5 Fluid Oz. (147ml)
- Coconut Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- All Purpose Flour 3 ¾ cup (469g)
- Egg Replacer 3 teaspoons *I am using Bob's Red Mill
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 6 teaspoons
- Salt 1½ teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil 18 Tablespoons (270ml)
- Unsweetened Coconut 1 cup (85g)
- 2 Pint Cartons SILK brand Whipping Cream
- OR 1 recipeVegan Whipped Cream
- 1 Pound fresh strawberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- Grease and parchment line 2-8" Cake Pans and preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare the cake recipe by placing all of the cake ingredients except for the coconut into a food processor and process until smooth batter (about 20 seconds)
- Add the coconut flakes and pulse again to distribute evenly
- If you do not want to use the food processor the cake batter can be mixed by hand in a large mixing bowl with a whisk for about 50 strokes to develop the batter
- Divide the cake batter between the 2- greased 8" pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 30-35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pans and then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, whip the vegan whipped cream *I add ½ cup of confectioners sugar to each PINT of SILK brand heavy whipping cream~ adjust to your liking
- Assemble the cake with a layer of whipped cream, the fresh sliced strawberries and blueberries then the other layer of cake and more whipped cream on top.
- I left this cake as a "naked" style cake decor but you can of course decorate as you prefer.
Whipped cream cakes must be kept refrigerated at all times and this cake will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
The cake layers can be wrapped and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month