Bringing you more confusion around the term Coffee Cake here today with this rendition of Coffee Cream Cake!
Depending on where you reside on the world, coffee cake means different things to different people.
I talked all about it on my recent recipe post for Coffee Cake
So if you ended up here looking for that fluffy hunk of buttery breakfast cake click the link for Cinnamon Struesel Coffee Cake
But if you are here because you want a coffee flavored sponge cake layered with Kahlua cream filling, stay right where you are!
This coffee sponge cake is so moist with Kahlua cream filling and icing.
I’ve also made a small recipe of my friend Deborah’s Toffee Bark for an added crunch
I have to just mention how easy this cake recipe is to make.
The sponge is a recipe out of my recent cookbook Modern Vegan Baking called Super Easy Vanilla Cake!
It’s a one bowl mix, no mixer required and it just doesn’t get any easier!
I’ve added some instant coffee granules to make it coffee flavor
If you are alcohol free just add some instant coffee granules dissolved in warm water for the coffee icing and you won’t miss a thing!
Some people may think my buttercream to cake ratio is a bit excessive, but hey I gotta be me!
Of course you can adjust the amounts to your liking
You know me and my coffee – chocolate addiction, so I just had to get some chocolate in there and decided to do so by drizzling ganache all over the top of the cake
I know by the picture it looks as if the cake is actually chocolate, but it’s just the coffee granules that turn it darker.
See my note in the written instructions about that!
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoons
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Coconut or Vegetable Oil 1 cup
- Granulated Sugar 1¾ cup (350g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Plant Milk * I prefer soy milk 1½ cups (355ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar *or white vinegar 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Instant Coffee Granules 3 Tablespoons (*You can use 1½ to 2 Tbs instead if you want a lighter colored cake)
- ½ Recipe Toffee Bark minus the almonds
- 1 Recipe Vegan Buttercream
- Kahlua ½ cup or if alcohol free see note above
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, oil and vanilla extract
- Add the instant coffee granules to the room temperature soy milk and stir to dissolve, add the vinegar
- Add this soy milk mixture to the sugar mixture in the bowl and whisk smooth
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the liquids and whisk smooth
- Divide the batter between 2 greased and parchment lined 8" x 2" pans and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool in the pans until you can safely touch them without burning your self then flip them out onto a cooling rack or a parchment lined sheet pan, cool in the refrigerator while you prepare the buttercream icing and the toffee recipe
- Fill and ice the cake as shown in the video
Refrigerate for longer shelf life (up to 7 days) but bring to room temperature before serving for best results