Here we are the end of October and I have had just about enough of Pumpkin and Apple desserts for a minute!
Give me some chocolate!
Coffee and Chocolate to be exact with this Coffee Toffee Cream Cake!
Coffee sponge cake with Kahlua cream filling and icing and a crunchy buttery toffee center!
Oh yeah! That will fix anyone’s bad attitude!
Just look at these layers!
This coffee sponge cake is so moist with Kahlua cream filling and icing.
I’ve also made a small recipe of my friend Deborah’s Toffee Bark for an added crunch and let me just tell you, I could eat this entire cake myself!
I have to just mention how easy this cake recipe is to make.
The sponge itself is a recipe out of my recent cookbook Modern Vegan Baking and the recipe title is actually Super Easy Vanilla Cake!
It’s a one bowl mix, no mixer required and it just doesn’t get any easier!
If you are alcohol free just add some instant coffee granules dissolved in warm water for the coffee icing and you won’t miss a thing!
Of course you know me and my coffee – chocolate addiction; I just had to get some chocolate in there so I’ve added a bit of ganache to the top!
I know by the picture it looks as if the cake is actually chocolate, but it’s just the coffee granules that turn it darker.
See my note in the written instructions about that!
Check out the video for how to make everything and the written recipe below!
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Baking Soda 2 teaspoons
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Coconut or Vegetable Oil 1 cup
- Granulated Sugar 1¾ cup (350g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Plant Milk * I prefer soy milk 1½ cups (355ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar *or white vinegar 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Instant Coffee Granules 3 Tablespoons (*You can use 1½ to 2 Tbs instead if you want a lighter colored cake)
- ½ Recipe Toffee Bark minus the almonds
- 1 Recipe Vegan Buttercream
- Kahlua ½ cup or if alcohol free see note above
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, oil and vanilla extract
- Add the instant coffee granules to the room temperature soy milk and stir to dissolve, add the vinegar
- Add this soy milk mixture to the sugar mixture in the bowl and whisk smooth
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the liquids and whisk smooth
- Divide the batter between 2 greased and parchment lined 8" x 2" pans and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool in the pans until you can safely touch them without burning your self then flip them out onto a cooling rack or a parchment lined sheet pan, cool in the refrigerator while you prepare the buttercream icing and the toffee recipe
- Fill and ice the cake as shown in the video
Refrigerate for longer shelf life (up to 7 days) but bring to room temperature before serving for best results