In order to have the best double chocolate chip cookies you must start off with the best chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Once you’ve established that, it’s a very simple tweak to double chocolate heaven!
By taking out some of the flour and replacing it with cocoa powder you have instant double chocolate chip cookies!
But not without some other minor changes that I will get to in a minute!
Some people like super fluffy and chewy cookies and others may like crispy and crunchy cookies.
This one though, is a perfect blend of crispy outsides and chewy soft insides!
Notes for Success:
Due to the addition of cocoa powder here and the tendency it has to really suck up moisture in a recipe, I’ve had to alter a few other ingredients. Note that Natural Cocoa Powder will work much better than Dutch Process in this recipe
I decided to put sea salt flakes on mine because I love the contrast of salty with rich, sweet chocolate
But this is completely optional as is the chocolate ganache drizzle once they were cooled!
I’m also using Vanilla Bean Paste for an amazing addition to the depth of this cookie and Callebaut Vegan Chocolate Chips both courtesy of Olive Nation
They were so kind to offer me samples of their amazing products to test out in some recipes! I know it can be difficult to find many of these vegan ingredients and chocolate chips are definitely one of them!
OliveNation has very reasonable prices and are USA based out of Massachusetts. They carry everything from extracts, chocolate, nuts and spices and so much more!
Their website is vast and impressive and a literal food festival for us bakers!
They offer wholesale prices and fast shipping so if you want to check out more be sure to click through!
Get 20% off your order by using this code in the coupon area at checkout!—–> GVB20
For more recipes courtesy of Olive Nation check out:
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (224g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Light Brown Sugar 1½ cup (300g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Aquafaba *the water from a can of chickpeas 1/3 cup (78ml)
- Flax Meal 2 Tablespoons (16g)
- Vanilla Bean Paste 2 teaspoons
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups + 2 Tablespoons (390g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder 6 Tablespoons (36g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
- Mini Chocolate Chips 2 cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line 2 Half sheet pans with parchment paper
- In small bowl whisk the flax meal with the aquafaba and set aside to thicken
- With an electric mixer cream the vegan butter with both sugars and the salt with a paddle attachment on medium to high speed until light and fluffy - this will take approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl
- Add the thickened super flax paste and then whip on high speed for 30 seconds to emulsify
- Sift the flour with the cocoa power, baking powder & baking soda and add all at once to the creamed mixture.
- Mix on low speed until well blended then add the mini chocolate chips
- Scoop the cookie dough with a 2 ounce scoop or drop the dough by rounded tablespoons full onto parchment lined sheet pans - 12 dough balls to 1 Half Sheet Pan.
- Press the balls of dough just slightly to help them take shape as they bake and if desired sprinkle a few more chocolate chips onto the tops of each.
- Bake cookies in a preheated conventional oven for 12-14 minutes ~ until no longer raw & doughy in the middle.
- It's harder to see "golden browned" for done-ness with a double chocolate chip cookie like this one
- Cool slightly before serving
Double chocolate chip cookies will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Dough can be frozen for up to 2 months