Maybe traditional fruitcake ain’t yo’ thang
But let me tell you something about these Fruitcake Cookies!
Brandy marinated fruits and nuts all packed into one bite sized morsel
I was surprised at how much I really loved these!
But then again it’s no surprise really when you taste the cranberries, raisins, almonds, pecans and of course my candied orange rind
All in one perfect burst of holiday cheer!
Exactly what fruit cake is supposed to be only in cookie form!
Of course if you are alcohol free you can still have an amazingly delicious cookie just substitute the brandy for apple juice or any fruit juice really!
This was the last addition to my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies recipe series
The recipe makes about four dozen and that may seem like too much
But believe me these little gems are going to be the most sought after cookies in your holiday assortment!
They also freeze really great so you can get a jump on the baking now!
Notes for Success:
This is a very friendly recipe and it will take on pretty much any egg replacer you prefer!
I have used Bob’s Red Mill with great results
Flax meal reconstituted in the aquafaba would be my second choice!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO MAKE THESE COOKIES
For more of the best Christmas cookie recipes click the links below!
Christmas Cookies The Best Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
The 12 Days of Christmas Cookies
Firm & Chewy Gingerbread Cookies ~Best Cut Out Recipe
You may see that I am using The Plant Based Egg by Freely Veganas the egg replacer, but you can sub in another proprietary blend egg replacer of your choice ~ I have used Bob's Red Mill with good results
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cups (188g)
- Baking Soda ½ teaspoon
- Baking Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Ground Cloves ⅛ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Egg Replacer 3 teaspoons
- Vegan Butter 7 Tablespoons (98g)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Liquid Aquafaba 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Plant Milk ¼ cup (60ml)
- Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Cashews- any combination of nuts to total 2 cups
- Candied Orange Rind approximately ½ cup Divided *see note above
- Dried Cranberries 1 cup
- Raisins 1 cup
- Brandy or Fruit Juice ¼ cup (60ml)
- For the glaze:
- Confectioners Sugar 1 cup
- Brandy or Plant Milk 1 Tablespoon
- Combine the nuts and fruits together in a large bowl and pour the brandy over top.
- Cream the vegan butter with the light brown sugar until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes on high speed, then add the liquid aquafaba and vanilla extract.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix, then add the sifted flour, egg replacer, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt all at once mixing on low until it is all incorporated
- Add the plant milk slowly while mixing on medium speed
- Place the brandy nut and fruit mixture along with only 2 Tablespoons of the orange rind in a food processor and process fine, it will be pasty from the liquids, but you just don't want large chunks of nuts.
- Add the fruit/nut mix to the dough and mix just until combined
- Scoop onto parchment lined sheet pans spaced 1" apart and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350° F for another 10 minutes.
- Cool then dip the tops of the cookies in confectioners sugar icing glaze and then top with the remaining orange rind
Hi Gretchen, I was reading through one of your older recipes and noticed that a link to another recipe (the Aquafaba Buttercream) has a broken URL. It looks like you changed your Domain Name from http://www.gretchensbakery.com to http://www.gretchensveganbakery.com at some point. If you still own the domain name for http://www.gretchensbakery.com you can set up a URL redirect on your old site to point to your new one, so that you don’t have broken URLs or have to go through each old recipe one at a time to update them.
Thanks so much for the amazing recipes!
Thank you! I know, there are quite a few of the older recipes that have broken links! Thank you for pointing this out! Will update now!