I’m convinced that Blondies were invented from a failed cake recipe!
Well at least these Lemon Blondies were!
My lemon cake recipe gone wrong has been turned into something so right!
Thick and chewy tart Lemon Blondies!
By adding lemon juice to confectioners sugar the result is a tart lemon glaze that is optional but darned delicious!
Notes for Success:
In the video you will see that I am using a food processor to mix the recipe, but this is not necessary since it can be mixed entirely by hand in a large bowl with a whisk
You may also notice that I am using melted vegan butter for this one; any vegetable oil will also work but the vegan butter gives a better texture and also color!
Fresh squeezed lemon juice is the best option rather than a bottled concentrated juice that will be harsh tasting and mostly acidic, although one viewer has made these with lemon juice from a bottle and said they were fantastic!
Lemon Blondies take exactly 20 minutes to bake at 350°F so be sure not to over bake or they will get dry
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice ¾ cup (177ml)
- Vegan Butter 10 Tablespoons (140g)
- Granulated sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Lemon Zest 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Extract *optional 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cups (188g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
For the Lemon Glaze:
- Confectioners Sugar 1 cup (120g)
- Lemon Juice 1 Tablespoon (15ml)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease and parchment line an 8" x 8" square baking pan
- Combine the vegan butter with the sugar in a small sauce pot and melt gently over low heat stirring until the butter is melted
- Remove from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl along with the lemon juice, zest, salt and lemon extract
- Whisk smooth
- Add the sifted all purpose flour with the baking powder and whisk smooth
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake immediately in the preheated oven fro exactly 20 minutes
- Meanwhile whisk the confectioners sugar with the lemon juice to a smooth glaze
- Once the blondie is done baking and cooled enough to remove it from the pan without burning yourself, you can glaze the warm blondies
- Serve warm or cold (I prefer them cold!)
Lemon blondies can stay at room temperature loosely covered for up to 3 days
For longer storage keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Freeze wrapped well for 1 month