My favorite cookie of all time!
When there’s vegan rugelach in the house you better hide them from me because I will eat them all!
One is the Chocolate Raspberry and the other is filled with Poppy seed spread.
The poppy seed filled ones are my all time favorite even over the chocolate!
I can eat all the poppy seed filling right out of the can!
If you have never worked with Rugelach dough you are in for a treat.
It is super silky and really easy to work with.
The cream cheese in the dough makes it so soft and actually it is what makes this dough so unique.
If you are not familiar with the Rugalah, when when you taste one you will wonder what is that back note of creaminess that is so surprising in a cookie!
Yep, that’s the cream cheese.
Check out how easy it is to make them and don’t forget you can fill these cookies with anything you prefer!
Apricot is another very popular variety as well as the walnut cinnamon kind!
I’ve also made them into Pecan Pie filled Rugalach for a holiday hit!
Notes for Success:
The lactic acid is an optional ingredient that I use when I am working with vegan cream cheese to give it that signature tang of regular cream cheese
I do recommend a silicone baking mat for the raspberry cookies since the jam will seep out slightly upon baking making it nearly impossible to get the cookies off the parchment paper once they’ve cooled- yes I learned this the hard way!
The original recipe for this cookie dough from my past life called for egg yolks which I replaced with Vegan Egg by Follow Your Heart.
I understand not everyone can get that product so I also tested it with another store bought egg replacer like Bob’s Red Mill with excellent results.
Simple substitute it in the same quantity as listed below for the Vegan Egg by FYH
You can also use EnerG Egg Replacer instead~ the equivalent in this recipe is for 2 eggs
Click the links below for more awesome cookie recipes!
- All Purpose Flour 2½ cup (312g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt pinch
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese 8 ounce package (226g)
- Vegan Lactic Acid *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup
- Vegan Egg by Follow Your Heart 2 Tablespoons (12g) *see note above
- Cold Water ¼ cup (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Raspberry Jam 1½ cup
- Mini Vegan Chocolate Chips ¾ cup
- Vegan Chocolate Cookies crushed or cake crumbs 6 Tablespoons *optional
- Aquafaba for brushing the cookies before baking
- Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling
- Combine the vegan egg with the cold water and whisk smooth then add the vanilla extract to that
- Cream the softened vegan butter with the sugar with an electric mixer using the paddle attachment (or by hand) until light & fluffy
- Add the vegan cream cheese and mix just until smooth and combined well
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix
- Sift the flour with the baking powder then add it all at once to the mixer and mix on low speed to combine.
- Wrap the dough into 3 separate equal discs (rounds) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has relaxed and is chilled, knead it lightly on a floured surface to form a round disc then roll it out to 12" diameter
- Spread with about ½ cup of the raspberry jam then sprinkle with about ¼ cup of the mini chips and 2 Tbs of crushed cookies or cake crumbs
- Cut the dough circle first by quartering the entire piece (like you are cutting a pie), then each quarter gets cut into 4 pieces for a total of 16 wedges
- Roll up each wedge from the fat edge into the center as shown in the video
- Place the cookies on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on a sheet pan, brush with aquafaba then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 30-35 minutes until golden browned
Freeze for up to 2 months