Not be to confused with the difficult lemon cake recipe!
LOL Seriously I do have another Lemon Cake Recipe here on my website
But that one is more time consuming and technical to make.
This easy lemon cake recipe is another “throw it all in the food processor” mix method and I am literally obsessed!
Finely textured crumb that is the perfect canvas for a cake soak!
I recently used this cake as the star of my Strawberry Lemon Lavender Cake for Mother’s Day
And let me tell you, from a die hard chocolate lover this could possibly be my new favorite cake!
For those who are living for my food processor cake recipes a.k.a the One Bowl Mix method
You may be interested to see the science behind converting this one from the original Orange Cake recipe to this Lemon Cake
WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR HOW TO CONVERT YOUR FAILED CAKE RECIPES
Notes for Success:
This easy lemon cake recipe makes 2 nice thick 8″ cake layers
You can also divide the batter evenly between 3-7″ pans, 1 -9″ x 13″ layer, 1 -12 cup capacity bundt pan or 24 cupcakes
Mixing in the food processor for a cake recipe like this is not necessary as it can all be mixed by hand in a large mixing bowl with a whisk
But if you are using a food processor it must be 14 cup capacity or it will not fit
Freshly squeezed lemon juice is always the best option for best results
A viewer of this recipe has told me she tested this recipe multiple times with gluten free flour and it DOES NOT WORK!
Here is a list of everything I am using for this cake recipe!
*I am an Amazon affiliate so if you purchase through my links I make a few extra pennies! Thanks in advance! 🙂
14 Cup Capacity Cuisinart Food Processor
For some awesome layer cake ideas using lemon cake click the links below!
Strawberry Lemon Lavender Cake
Easy Lemon Cake Recipe
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cups (350g)
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice 12 Tablespoons (180ml)
- Lemon Zest approx 2 Tablespoons
- Plant Milk 2 cups (480ml)
- Vegetable Oil 1 cup (240ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons (530g)
- Baking Powder 3 teaspoons
- Baking Soda 1¼ teaspoon
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
- Lemon Extract 1½ teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease & parchment line 2-8" cake pans
- Wash and then zest your lemons then squeeze out all the juice to make 12 Tablespoons
- Combine all of the cake ingredients into the work bowl of your food processor OR a large mixing bowl to whisk by hand
- Whiz up the batter to smooth stopping to scrape the bottom & sides and then whiz again
- If mixing by hand simply add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk by hand for about 50 strokes until smooth
- Divide the batter between the 2 prepared cake pans and bake immediately for about 3-35 minutes or when the cakes are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Cool the cakes in the pan until you can safely turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
These lemon cake layers can be frozen wrapped well for up to 1 month
Can you make this gluten free?
Hi Bonne, I have not tried this recipe with GF~ I really am not a GF baker, but many people have said my recipes work great with a 1:1 GF mix like Bob’s Red Mill~ that said I can’t guarantee it will work with this one! If you try, please let me know!
GAIL ann DINKEL
i have been testing out vegan GF RECIPES, THEY ALL ARE FAILS I DID 8 ALREADY. FEED THEM TO MY CHICKENS
Oh no! That’s quite alot of testing! I’ll be sure to note that on this recipe that GF does not work! 🙁
Do you think your recioe would come out ok if I subbed the oil, with aqua faba or apple sauce??? I don’t use oil. Or maybe avocado for oil? Thank you! 😀
I don’t like to say “no” without first knowing if that is true, but I have not tested that and my first thought is going to be “no” LOL
If you are looking for oil free recipes I would direct you to Brandi at The Vegan 8 She does super healthy & delicious recipes! here is her oil free lemon cake