Finally a Vegan Stollen Recipe worth sharing!
Christmas time is the best time to make traditional German Stollen
This is a recipe straight out of my bakery days!
With all the dried and candied fruits soaked overnight and creamy almond paste center!
This Vegan Stollen Recipe is going to become your holiday tradition each year!
Traditionally Stollen is made with fruits that have been soaked overnight in rum
I did not do that for mine since I have several friends and family that do not like alcohol
By soaking my fruits in apple juice this problem is solved!
However if you want to stick to the authentic recipe be sure to use a good quality spiced rum!
The only almond paste I will use in my recipes is from OliveNation *loosely sponsored
Today OliveNation has provided not only the highest quality almond paste for this recipe, but they also provided the candied fruits too!
Alternatively you can use a combination of raisins, currants, and even dates if you are not a big fan of candied fruits
Another topic for debate is whether to use almond paste or marzipan inside the loaf.
In my bakery we used marzipan which is merely almond paste that has more sugar added to it to make it creamier and more pliable
Nowadays since I am cutting down on my sugar intake. I prefer to use straight up almond paste
OliveNation has extended a 20% off discount for all of you, so if you have your eye on anything, not just the ingredients I used here
Click through to OliveNation and enter GVB20 in the coupon area at checkout
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO MAKE ALL 3 STOLLEN VARIATIONS!
For more Stollen Recipes, click the links below!
- For the Stollen Dough:
- Plant Milk *I am using Soy Milk 1 cup (240ml)
- Dry Yeast 1 Tablespoon
- Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- All Purpose Flour 4 cups (500g) + more for rolling
- Aquafaba 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Cornstarch 1 teaspoon (3g)
- Vegetable Oil 1 Tablespoon (15ml)
- Vegan Butter Soft 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Butter Vanilla Emulsion 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Lemon Zest 1 teaspoon *approx 1 small lemon
- Orange Zest 2 teaspoons *approx 1 medium orange
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Cardamon 1 teaspoon
- Allspice 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Candied Fruit Mix 1½ cups
- Sliced Almonds ½ cup
- Good Quality Rum OR Apple Juice ¾ cup (180ml)
- For the Almond Paste Filling:
- Good Quality Almond Paste 1 lb (454g)
- For the Glazing of the finished breads:
- Vegan Butter 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Confectioners Sugar approx ½ - 1 cup
- Aquafaba for brushing the dough *optional
- Preferably overnight~ soak the fruits with the rum or apple juice
- Combine the aquafaba, cornstarch and oil together in a small bowl & set aside
- Whisk the yeast into the warm plant milk and give it a pinch of sugar, let stand 5-10 minutes to frothy~ this "proves" that your yeast is alive & you can use it
- In a large mixing bowl (or in your electric mixer with the dough hook attachment) combine the flour, spices, zests, sugar, salt, softened vegan butter and the aquafaba mixture and mix by hand o(r on low speed of your electric mixer) to combine evenly
- Continue mixing to develop the dough about 5 minutes on medium speed with your mixer or 10 minutes by hand.
- If the dough is still too soft and will not come together to a pliable soft elastic dough, add more flour a tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover in a warm spot for about an hour or until almost doubled in size.
- Drain the fruits & discard the liquid, add this to the dough along with the sliced almonds and knead by hand on a lightly floured surface until all the fruits & nuts are incorporated
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts for 3 loaves (OR if you are making the other variations, click through to those recipes now)
- Divide the almond paste into 3 equal parts and roll each one into a log about 8 inches long (2" thick log)
- Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle or football shape and place the log of dough lengthwise not quite center but off to one side of the dough *see video tutorial
- Fold the dough over the almond paste log and press to seal the dough over each fold.
- Repeat with the other 2 pieces of dough & almond paste logs
- Transfer the Stollen Loaves to a parchment lined sheet pan and set in a warm humid spot to rise again
- Preheat the oven to 350°F once the dough has risen, brush them with aquafaba, then bake for approximately 30-40minutes
- The breads will be a nice golden brown
- Remove from the oven and with a skewer or toothpick poke holes in the breads then brush generously with the melted vegan butter
- Sprinkle a good amount of confectioners sugar over the warm breads with butter
- Cool, serve or wrap well only when cooled to COLD.
It will stay fresh wrapped for up to 1 week
For longer storage, freeze the baked breads, wrapped airtight for up to 1 month
Leave a Reply