This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe
It keeps the shape of whatever you are cutting out and doesn’t spread in the oven!
Not to mention they taste amazing!
I was never a big fan of eating decorated cookies; since to me the royal icing was just too hard and I don’t care for that taste so much.
But these are different!
First of all they don’t dry hard like traditional royal icing cookies.
But they do dry hard enough to stack, package up and transport
The sugar doesn’t get super hard like the traditional egg white royal icing from our past lives.
Although the cookies are not made with butter, are so buttery tasting it is really deceiving!
Notes for Success:
I use Earth Balance vegan butter for the best results *not sponsored
I have also used Country Crock Olive Oil Butter as well with good results
Lemon extract and lemon zest in my cut out cookie dough is always a must for me, but you can leave that out
Just replace it with a different extract like almond or butter extract or more vanilla
I like to use vegan chocolate to pipe on the faces to eliminate any risk of color bleed onto the base color below
Or if you want to avoid chocolate just save out a bit of that white icing from the start and color it black.
But be sure to let that base color dry overnight before piping the faces
The icing recipe listed below is a perfect amount for 12 large cookies.
The ghosts and pumpkins cookies cutters were approximately 4″ diameter to give you an estimated size.
Ok now I’m going to get all salesman like here for a quick minute, not something I typically do, but you will notice in the video I am using the Dough EZ Pastry Rolling Mat.
If you guys know me, you know I typically do not get on board with extra gadgets in the kitchen, but this has become a lifesaver for me!
For perfectly even rolled cookies you may want to give this thing a try! *not sponsored
You will notice I am using EnerG Egg replacer for the icing recipe which is what I believe gives it that “softer” dry
But if you want to forgo the egg replacer altogether you can leave it out and substitute aquafaba for the water
For more awesome bakery style cookies click the links below!
- For the Sugar Cookie Dough
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Hi Ratio Vegetable Shortening or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks 1 cup (226g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Aquafaba 4 Tablespoons (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Lemon Extract *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon Zest 1 lemon
- For the Vegan Royal Icing
- EnerG Egg Replacer 4½ teaspoons (20g)
- Warm Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract ½ teaspoon
- Confectioner's Sugar 4 cups (480g)
- For the cookie dough
- Cream the shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3- 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, the aquafaba and the extracts to the creaming butter/sugar mixture and then stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl
- Next sift together the flour baking powder and salt and add it all at once to the creamed mixture. Mix just until it is all combined.
- Wrap this dough disc in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before using or you can store it for up to 1 week wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for 2 months.
- You must re work this dough with some additional flour to a pliable consistency after it has been chilled. Do not skip this step.
- Knead it with some flour until it is no longer a crumbly mass, but a soft pliable dough
- Roll out the dough to ¼" thick and cut shapes as desired
- Transfer cookie cutouts to a parchment lined sheet pan and bake in preheated to 350° F oven for approximately 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool the cookies while you prepare the vegan royal icing
- For the Royal Icing:
- Combine the egg replacer with the warm water and whisk smooth
- Place the sifted confectioners sugar in a mixing bowl and then add the vanilla extract and the egg replacer mixture.
- Mix on medium to high speed until it is smooth
- Color as desired with gel paste food colors and decorate as you like
- Allow cookies to dry slightly at room temperature