Childhood memories of chasing the ice cream man down the street
The chocolate eclair cake is a perfect knockoff of the Good Humor® ice cream bar of the same name
Chocolate and white cake layered with ganache and buttercream!
Smothered in classic Chocolate Eclair Crunch Coating!
I’m not going to lie cakes like this one are going to take a bit more time
Since you have to bake two kinds of cake, two icings and if you can’t buy the cookies then you will have to make those as well!
I use chocolate sandwich cookies or sometimes digestive biscuits too
But don’t worry I have great vegan shortbread cookie recipes for you to use!
This website may contain links as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, which means when you click a link and make a purchase through my website I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you
Notes for Success:
If you do not want to buy or make additional recipes of cookies for the crunch you can use the trimmings from the cake layers or bake the excess cake batter into random pans specifically for crushing & using for the garnish.
I would recommend if you are going to use the cake crumbs to toast them until they are crunchy so the cake has that authentic “crunch coating”
For this cake we only need 2 layers of white cake and 1 layer of chocolate cake, so I have worked out the recipes below as best as possible
The recipes work great for 7″ cake pan, but if you only have 8″ pans that’s OK
I do not find much difference from 7″ pans to 8″ pans except that the 8″ layer will be slightly thinner and bake a few minutes less.
Don’t forget my Duncan Hines Box Cake Hack if you want to go super lazy route with this entire chocolate eclair cake
You will need ½ Box recipe for the white cake & ¼ box recipe for the chocolate cake *be careful with your math & conversions!
Although I always like having excess layers or cupcakes in the freezer so you may just want to bake the entire box!
For the Chocolate Cake:
- All Purpose Flour 1½ cups (188g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder 4 Tablespoons
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Apple Cider Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Strong Brewed Coffee 1 cup (240ml)
For the White Cake:
- Vegan Butter 2 tablespoons (28g)
- Coconut Oil 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Granulated Sugar 6 Tablespoons (75g)
- Plant milk ¼ cup (60ml)
- Clear Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- All Purpose Flour 2 Tablespoons (15g)
- Cake Flour ¾ cup (90g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt pinch
- Cornstarch ½ Tablespoon (4g)
- Aquafaba ¼ cup (60ml)
- 2X Recipe Chocolate Ganache
- 1 Recipe Your Favorite Buttercream
- 1 cup crushed chocolate cookies
- 1 cup crushed vanilla cookies * see notes
- For the chocolate cake recipe prepare your cake pans with professional bakery pan grease and a parchment paper liner
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine well
- In another mixing bowl combine the cocoa powder with the hot coffee and whisk smooth
- Add the Vegetable oil, vanilla extract and vinegar, then add all the liquids to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
- Whisk vigorously to combine well, the batter will seem thick at first but be sure to keep whisking smooth
- Pour all the batter into your prepared pan(s)
- bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan(s) until you can easily touch them without burning yourself.
- Then flip the cake(s) out onto a cooling rack to cool to cold.
- Prepare the white cake prepare your cake pans with grease & parchment paper liner & preheat the oven to 350°F
- Combine the softened vegan butter with the coconut oil and granulated sugar and mix on high speed with the paddle attachment for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy, be sure to scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Combine theplant milk with the and extract and set it aside.
- Combine the aquafaba with the cornstarch and whisk together so there are no lumps, it will get slightly frothy too, this is good.
- Once the butter mixture is creamed, add the aquafaba/cornstarch to it and change the attachment to the whisk attachment, whip on high speed to emulsify & the mixture will get very silky and smooth
- Meanwhile sift the flour(s) with the salt and baking powder and add 1/3 of that to the creamed mixture, blend just until combined then add half of the milk mixture
- Blend just until combined then add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and then the remaining liquid and last the remaining dry ingredients.
- Be sure to scrape the sides & bottom of the bowl and whip it on high for 10 seconds to blend well.
- Divide the batter evenly between your pans and bake immediately in the preheated oven that has been set to 350°F
- After the first 10 minutes lower the temperature to 300° and bake for a total of 30-35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans and the turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely
- Prepare the buttercream and ganache recipes as per the instructions on that recipe
- Assemble the cake as per the video tutorial
Chocolate Eclair Cake can be stored at a cool room temperature for up to 2 days, for longer storage refrigerate wrapped to prevent drying for up to 1 week