On a recent 12 Days of Christmas Cookies recipe series
The Cinnamon Bun Cookies turned out to be my favorite!
Yes those are cookies not cinnamon rolls!
So naturally I had to keep the theme going with this awesome Cinnamon Bun Cake!
Layers of soft, fluffy cinnamon sponge cake filled with cream cheese icing!
But first of all let’s talk about this Cinnamon Bun Cookie
While it is not essential to the making of this cake
That cute little cookie decor on top of each slice is really what makes this cake so perfect!
Classic rugalah cookie is a soft cream cheese cookie dough
Rolled up with all the cinnamon goodness of a cinnamon bun!
I’m not sure which is the star of this show the cookies or the cake?!
In the YouTube video tutorial linked below, you will notice I am using my old version of cream cheese icing
I’ve included both recipes listed below, but I highly recommend using the 2-2-2 Recipe!
Notes for Success:
The cinnamon sponge cake recipe is a spinoff from my famous Fluffy Vanilla Cake Recipe
I do use cake flour in that recipe but for those who cannot get cake flour you can use all All Purpose Flour in the total amount of 300g weight or a scant 2½ cups
For the cream cheese icing I cannot stress enough how much I am in love with the No Cream Cheese Recipe!
Be sure to read all about the 2-2-2 recipe and vegan lactic acid before deciding which recipe to choose!
If you do opt for the original recipe with the vegan cream cheese you will have to refrigerate this cake
The cinnamon roll cookies can be made well in advance to ease the preparation of this cake
For more easy cinnamon recipes click the links below!
- For the Cinnamon Sponge Cake:
- White or Apple Cider Vinegar 1 Tablespoon (15ml)
- Plant Milk1 cup (237ml) *or any milk alternative of your choice see notes for success above
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoon (10ml)
- Cake Flour 2½ cup (300g) *see notes above
- Flax meal 4 Tablespoons (36g)
- Hot Water 8 Tablespoons (118ml)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cup (300g)
- Baking Powder 4 teaspoons (20g)
- Ground Cinnamon 3 teaspoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon (6g)
- Vegan Butter 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- For the Original Cream Cheese Icing:
- Vegan Butter 8 tablespoons (112g)
- Confectioners Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 -8ounce packages (454g)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- 1 Recipe 222 Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 Recipe Cinnamon Bun Cookies
- For the cinnamon sponge cake: Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- Add the vinegar to the soy milk and then add the vanilla extract
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- Cream the slightly softened vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy and this will take about 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed
- Add the flax paste to the creaming mixture while mixing on medium speed, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to incorporate evenly, whip on high for 30 seconds to emulsify
- Add about ⅓ of the sifted flour ingredients to the creaming mixture while mixing on low speed just until combined, then add half of the plant milk
- Add another ⅓ of the flour and then the remaining milk
- Add the last amount of flour and mix just to combine evenly.
- Portion the batter between your greased and parchment lined cake pans and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool in the pans until you can safely touch them with your hands and then flip them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is baking you can make the Cinnamon Bun Cookies as per the instructions on that post and the 2-2-2 Cream Cheese icing as well
- If you are making the original cream cheese icing recipe, follow these directions:
- Mix the softened vegan butter with the confectioners sugar BY HAND IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL WITH A SPATULA until smooth
- Add the vanilla extract and the apple cider vinegar then add the vegan cream cheese and blend smooth, mix gently or the vegan cream cheese can get too soft and soupy
If you a re using the 2-2-2 Cream Cheese Icing recipe then it can stay at room temperature for up to 3 days
Store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator covered for freshness
Cake can be frozen for up to 1 month wrapped well to prevent drying