I’m changing up the holiday cookie platter offering this year with so many great ideas!
Including this one for Cinnamon Bun Cookies!
Filled with cinnamon sugar and raisins and then iced with the signature bun icing that will have people thinking they are eating cinnamon buns for real!
But these are actually COOKIES!
I love this cookie dough so much, it is the same dough I use whenever I make Rugalach, so naturally when I wanted to make a soft cookie that resembles a yeast pastry, I went for this one!
Pro tip: Make this recipe in Double so you can save out some cookies to make my amazing Cinnamon Roll cake next!
You may see that I am using The Plant Based Egg by Freely Vegan as the egg replacer in almost all of my desserts now.
If you do not want to buy it or cannot get it, you can sub in another proprietary blend egg replacer of your choice results may vary.
- For the cookie dough:
- All Purpose Flour 2½ cup (312g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese 8 ounce package (226g)
- Vegan Lactic Acid *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup
- Vegan Egg 2 Tablespoons (12g) *see note above
- Cold Water ¼ cup (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- For the filling:
- Veqan Butter 2 tablespoons (56g)
- Light Brown Sugar 8 Tablespoons
- Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Raisins ½ cup
- Gently cream the vegan butter and cream cheese together to smooth
- Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the vegan egg with the cold water and whisk smooth then add the vanilla extract to that
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix
- Sift the flour with the baking powder then add it all at once to the mixer and mix on low speed to combine.
- Wrap the dough into 2 separate equal discs and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile combine the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl
- Once the dough has relaxed and is chilled, knead it (one disc at a time) on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle that is 6" by 18"
- Brush with the half of the melted vegan butter and then spread half of the cinnamon sugar mixture and the raisins evenly and roll up jelly roll style
- Cut the log into 20 equal pieces and place them on a sheet pan spaced lined with parchment paper almost touching each other
- Repeat the process with the other half of dough and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 minutes until golden browned
- Cool then ice with confectioners sugar glaze which is just 1 cup confectioners sugar with about 1 Tbs plant milk added, whisk smooth to pour able consistency