Take a closer look because these are not cinnamon buns!
But they are Cinnamon Bun Cookies!
All the cinnamon delight of eating a real deal cinnamon bun, but without all that time spent in the kitchen!
I love this cookie dough so much, it is my veganized version of Rugalah dough!
Those who know Rugalah cookies are already salivating because they know it means soft and fluffy cream cheese dough filled with whatever filling catches your fancy!
I have make Poppy Seed, Chocolate Raspberry and Pecan Pie Rugalah
But today, obviously these are filled with cinnamon bun filling and I even used raisins!
Wait! Don’t go! I know all you raisin haters are like “Bye Felicia!”
You can easily just leave the raisins out of the recipe and we won’t have to ever speak about it again!
Trust me you are going to fall in love with these cookies
They are super easy to make and I have a step by step YouTube video tutorial to show you exactly how I did it!
The only advice I have for you is to make a double batch because they go fast!
Not to mention you may want to dive into the Cinnamon Bun Cake project next and you will need a few cookies for the garnish!
Be sure to bookmark this page!
Holiday baking will be upon us before we know it!
For more easy cinnamon recipes click the links below!
The original non-vegan recipe for this cookie dough called for egg yolks which I replaced with Vegan Egg by Follow Your Heart.
I understand not everyone can get that product so I also tested it with flax meal in the same quantity as listed below, reconstituted with hot water instead of cold and you will have perfect results!
- For the cookie dough:
- All Purpose Flour 2½ cup (312g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Vegan Cream Cheese 8 ounce package (226g)
- Vegan Lactic Acid *optional ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup
- Vegan Egg 2 Tablespoons (12g) *see note above
- Cold Water ¼ cup (60ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- For the filling:
- Veqan Butter 2 tablespoons (56g)
- Light Brown Sugar 8 Tablespoons
- Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Raisins ½ cup
- Gently cream the vegan butter and cream cheese together to smooth
- Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the vegan egg with the cold water and whisk smooth then add the vanilla extract to that
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix
- Sift the flour with the baking powder then add it all at once to the mixer and mix on low speed to combine.
- Wrap the dough into 2 separate equal discs and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile combine the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl
- Once the dough has relaxed and is chilled, knead it (one disc at a time) on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle that is 6" by 18"
- Brush with the half of the melted vegan butter and then spread half of the cinnamon sugar mixture and the raisins evenly and roll up jelly roll style
- Cut the log into 20 equal pieces and place them on a sheet pan spaced lined with parchment paper almost touching each other
- Repeat the process with the other half of dough and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 minutes until golden browned
- Cool then ice with confectioners sugar glaze which is just 1 cup confectioners sugar with about 1 Tbs plant milk added, whisk smooth to pour able consistency