Coconut anything was always a hard sell in my bakery.
I guess geography and demographics play into that fact, but no matter what I will maintain that everyone needs a coconut layer cake in their life.
But it has to be a GOOD Coconut Layer Cake!
Well my friends, look no further.
This is not just a good coconut layer cake, this is THE BEST COCONUT LAYER CAKE YOU WILL EVER TRY!
Super moist layers of coconut cake, with chocolate fudge filling and orange scented buttercream.
This combination of flavors is out of this world!
For me I can’t do much of anything without putting chocolate in it.
But I will admit I did think twice before doing it here.
I am so happy I did it.
But not too much!
That would have been overkill, this thin layer of fudge is just the right amount of bittersweet chocolate against that moist luscious coconut layer cake.
The orange in the buttercream sends it all to heights you have never imagined possible and now:
You Love Coconut Cake.
IIt is worth buying it as it has a shelf life of over 1 year and I have been using it for pretty much everything anyway! If you do not want to buy it or cannot get it, you can sub in another proprietary blend egg replacer of your choice results may vary.
Also I am using 3-7" cake pans for my cake but you can use 2-8" cake pans if you prefer. Prepare them with my professional bakery pan grease and a parchment paper liner
Preheat the oven to 350°F
- For the Coconut Cake
- Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400g)
- Vegan Butter 1 cup (226g)
- Coconut Oil or any vegetable oil ½ cup (118ml)
- Coconut Yogurt or any yogurt alternative ½ cup
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Extract 1 teaspoon
- Almond Extract ½ teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- The Plant Based Egg 2 teaspoons
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Coconut Milk or any milk alternative 1 cup (237ml)
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 cup *see notes below
- 1 Recipe Buttercream of your choice
- Zest from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 - 1½ Oranges
- ¼ Recipe Fudge Filling *see note below in the instructions
- OR for a less sweet filling use Chocolate Buttercream
- Sift the flour with the egg replacer, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Combine the coconut milk with the coconut yogurt and all the extracts
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes then add the coconut oil. *It's ok if your oil is melted and liquid I have done it both ways with fine results
- Mix well, then add ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients while mixing on low speed just until it is combined then add half of the milk mixture.
- Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients, the remaining milk mixture and then the last of the dry ingredients.
- Add the shredded coconut then mix on medium speed for about 10 seconds to develop the batter
- Portion into the greased and parchment lined pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25-30minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers or a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan until you can touch the pan easily without burning yourself and then tun out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the buttercream as per the instructions on that post and the optional fudge filling.
- You will only need about ¼ recipe of the fudge filling for this cake, but I always prepare an entire batch because you can never have too much fudge icing! It does refrigerate for up to 1 month and freezes for several months. Be careful with your math is you do decide to divide the recipe into ¼
This cake can stay at room temperature for up to 2 or3 days, refrigerate for longer up to 1 week wrapped well to prevent drying.
Some of you may know that for the last 2 years I have been working on developing a vegan egg replacement that my friend Deborah pioneered.
If you or anyone you know is into Vegan Baking, (but even more than that- VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE baking), THIS is a MUST have product!
Deborah has done amazing things with gluten free/vegan baking and I helped to develop this product to work in vegan baking with wheat!
This is by far my favorite egg replacement to use (of course I am a bit biased LOL)
Spread the word please and consider purchasing to help a small business venture!! THANKS!