The refreshing Mojito drink just became an equally refreshing cake!
Mojito Cake is everything the drink offers and more!
A simple cake to make with the best recipe for Key Lime Cake
Basically my Bakery Style Yellow cake is to the rescue again
Only this time I’ve loaded it up with fresh Key Lime Juice for the fluffiest most moist cake you will ever try!
Simple syrup infused with mint on each layer and rum in the buttercream!
Of course you can make this cake alcohol free by using rum extract instead
Or just leave the rum out altogether and make my 2 2 2 Cream Cheese Icing instead!
I’ve baked this cake into everything you can think of with perfect results every time!
Mojito Cupcakes will be a hit at your next summer fling
Super simple sheet cake is also an easy way to go
Notes for Success:
If you are familiar with my bakery yellow cake recipe you will notice I am not using the cake flour as I usually do
I tested it both ways and prefer the 100% all purpose flour here
This is a very liquid recipe and the added key lime juice changes the texture of the original cake formula
So to avoid a heavy gummy texture which often happens when we add fruit juices to cake batter;
I’ve found the all purpose flour prohibits this by absorbing more liquid than cake flour can
I’ve also had to adjust the sugar amount and oil as well to get just the right texture for this Key Lime Cake!
Speaking of oil, I also prefer the combination of vegan butter & oil together versus just one or the other
But I have done all vegan butter and all oil in the total amount listed of ¾ cup with fine results, but the combination is preferable
For more awesome summery fruity cake recipes, click the links below!
- For the Cake Batter:
- Plant Milk 1 cup (240ml) * I use soy milk for best results
- Key Lime Juice ½ cup (118ml)
- Vegan Butter ½ cup (113g)
- Vegetable Oil ¼ cup (60ml)
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cups (300g)
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Lime zest 1 teaspoon
- Green food color 1 drop *optional
- For the Mint Syrup:
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup
- Water ¼ cup
- Mint Oil or extract 1 drop ** extract to taste
- For the Rum Buttercream:
- 1 Recipe your favorite buttercream *I am using American Style Buttercream
- White Rum 2 Tablespoons * Or 3 teaspoons of rum extract
- Prepare the cake batter:
- Melt the vegan butter and combine it with the vegetable oil
- Combine the soy milk with the lime juice
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt and whisk together to incorporate all the ingredients very well.
- Add the all liquids: the plant milk with the juice and the melted vegan butter o& oil and whisk smooth.
- Add the lime zest & food color and whisk smooth
- Divide the batter evenly between your prepared pans.
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes depending on the cake pans size and thickness of the layers, but always check at around 20 minutes
- (Loaves should take about 45 minutes but definitely check them at the 30 minute mark just to be sure, as all ovens bake differently.)
- I like to do the "toothpick" test to make sure there is no raw batter in the centers before taking them out
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack until you can safely touch them with your bare fingers and then flip them out of the pans carefully to cool the rest of the way.
- Make the simple syrup by bring the water & sugar to a boil in a small sauce pot then let it boil for 1 minute
- Remove from heat & add the extract or mint oil, cool
- Make the buttercream recipe according to the instructions on that recipe post and at the last stage of mixing add the rum or rum extract
- Lightly brush each cake layer with the cooled mint syrup and build the cake with rum buttercream filling & icing.
Key Lime Cake layers can be frozen wrapped well for up to 2 months