Your vegan buttercream prayers have just been answered!
In my opinion American Buttercream Recipe is the easiest of all the vegan buttercream recipes and therefore it is the best!
I’m all about easy nowadays and this recipe not only covers that but it is really fluffy and delicious too!
American buttercream is the closest recipe to the one I used daily when I owned my bakery!
People came from miles around to get the best buttercream and now you can make it yourself at home!
Let’s Talk About Vegan Butter
Low moisture content is the key to success in any buttercream recipe!
I am partial to Earth Balance vegan butter *not sponsored
Although It is quite pricey at close to $5 per pound, it is the most stable in buttercream recipes since it has the lowest moisture content of all the vegan butters
Earth Balance will also firm up upon refrigeration which is the one thing that other vegan butters typically will not do!
That said I do use cheaper vegan butter when I cannot find or afford the Earth Balance brand.
So just be sure to do some trials and errors until you find the vegan butter that has the lowest moisture content, unfortunately this is not something that is listed on a label!
The addition of butter flavor is optional but because vegan butter is usually tasteless, I find the addition to be essential
If you do use it, do so sparingly as it can give an off taste if you use too much.
I find the Olive Nation brand to be the best, and they offer a 20% discount on anything you order!
Use Discount Code GVB20 at checkout
Since the development of this recipe back in 2017 I have recently been leaving out the shortening altogether
Simply by replacing it with more vegan butter!
Shortening does nothing more than stabilize the buttercream for cakes that are to be displayed in hot climates or transporting long distances
And since I do not do this anymore, I find the all vegan butter version to be just great!
If you do need to use shortening be sure to use a Hi Ratio Cake Shortening like Sweetex brand is the best
- Vegan Butter 1½ Cups (3 sticks) (336g)
- Hi Ratio Solid Vegetable Shortening 1½ Cups (336g) *see notes
- Confectioners Sugar 6 cups (720g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Butter Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon *optional
- Whip the vegan butter and shortening **if using with an electric mixer to fluffy and soft on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure it is evenly mixed and add the salt and flavors and whip for another minute
- Stop mixer and add the sifted confectioners sugar all at once.
- Mix on low speed until incorporated & then scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl again and then mix on high speed for another 3 minutes.
You can leave out the salt if your vegan butter is salted
This recipe will store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Refrigerate for longer storage up to 4 weeks
Freeze for 6 months