Well you know what they say, it takes a real man to be vegan!
LOL, these vegan gingerbread men are definite proof of that!
Slightly crispy but slightly soft and chewy too; basically everything I have always wanted in a man!
Use this dough for your gingerbread house project this year and of course for the best gingerbread men & women cookies you will find; or follow me through to my Winter Wonderland Gingerbread Cake where I take this dough and make a forest of gingerbread trees to decorate the top!
For the decorating part you can use my vegan royal icing which I used for my Halloween Cookies and I do love this recipe more than the original royal icing I used in my past life!
I was never a great fan of royal icing to begin with, but there’s something about this vegan version made with EnerG egg replacer that I really love so much.
The icing will harden as we want royal icing to do of course, but it stays slightly soft. It’s a strange phenomenon that I actually LOVE!
I was recently told by someone who never liked gingerbread cookies that she loves my recipe!
She thought it could be the addition of black pepper! Whatever it is I have to agree!
This year I made some mini gingerbread houses to go into my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies compilation
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (390g)
- Natural Cocoa Powder 2 teaspoons
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon (2g)
- Ground Ginger 1¼ teaspoon
- Cloves ⅛ teaspoon
- Nutmeg ⅛ teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Black Pepper ⅛ teaspoon
- Shortening or Vegan Butter ½ cup (113g)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup packed (105g)
- Molasses ⅔ cup (226g) (158ml)
- EnerG Egg Replacer1 Tablespoon
- Warm Water 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Combine EnerG Egg Replacer with the warm water and whisk smooth, add the vanilla extract
- Sift the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda and all of the spices and the salt and pepper, set aside.
- Cream the shortening or vegan butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy about 4-5 minutes,
- Add the egg replacer mixture and then mix well, scarpe the bottom and sieds of the bowl for an even mix
- Add molasses to the creamed butter mixture and mix well
- Add the sifted flour mixture slowly while blending on low speed, mix until it is all incorporated evenly.
- Turn out the entire dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Wrap the dough tightly and press into a disc.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight before rolling.
- Once out of the fridge you must re-roll this dough. It may seem dry and crumbly this is normal, you must mash it all together and knead it back together, then RE-roll on a floured work surface until it is pliable.
- Cut your shapes, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, you will bake for approximately 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.
For the Vegan Royal Icing
- EnerG Egg Replacer 4½ teaspoons (20g)
- Warm Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract ½ teaspoon
- Confectioner's Sugar 4 cups (480g)
- Combine the egg replacer with the warm water and whisk smooth
- Place the sifted confectioners sugar in a mixing bowl and then add the vanilla extract and the egg replacer mixture.
- Mix on medium to high speed until it is smooth
- Color as desired and decorate as you like
- Allow cookies to dry slightly at room temperature overnight on a sheet pan uncovered