It’s that time of year again where everything goes from all hearts, pink and red to all things GREEN!
Lucky for me green is my favorite color, So BRING ON THE GREEN FOOD!
This Vegan Grasshopper Cheesecake is going to start off the month of March right!
A slightly minted cheesecake made with mint cookies and Creme De Menthe liquor!
For those of you who do not do alcohol, no worries! Just leave it out altogether and add a drop of mint oil or extract to compensate!
Be careful not to over-do it with the mint though or this luscious creamy cheesecake can go from delicious to toothpaste in seconds!
The good thing about vegan desserts is we can taste as we go!
No worries about getting sick from raw ingredients with vegan recipes! Woohoo!
And I do urge you to taste the batter before baking since all mint extracts are not created equally and you will want to give it a little taste to make sure it is up to par.
I used 1 drop of mint essential oil and it was plenty!! The mint from the cookies and the liquor was actually enough all by itself, and I really didn’t need that extra drop!
As you will see in the video (and the written recipe below) I made a ganache with chocolate couverture and Creme De Menthe, but of course you can make a traditional Vegan Ganache instead!
Coconut whipped cream is optional but always awesome, so why not!?
- I package (13ounces) Vegan Mint Sandwich Cookies *I used Newman's O's *You won't need the whole package
- For the Crust:
- Half package of the cookies listed above
- Vegan Butter 3 Tablespoons (42g)
- For the Cheesecake Batter:
- Vegan Cream Cheese *I use Tofutti Brand 1½ packages (12ounces)
- Firm Tofu drained 4 ounces (1/4 of a package)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Cornstarch 4 Tablespoons
- All Purpose Flour 2 Tablespoons
- The Plant Based Egg Egg Replacer 3 teaspoons
- Plant milk *I use soy ½ cup (118ml)
- Vegan Butter Melted 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Creme De Menthe Liquor ¼ cup (60ml) *or leave it out and add more plant milk
- Green food color *optional
- Prepare the crust by crushing approx 14 of the sandwich cookies in a food processor and then add the melted vegan butter
- Press it into the prepared 7" cake pan and freeze while you prepare the cheesecake batter
- Place all cheesecake ingredients (except the remaining cookies) into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add green color if you wish (I did)
- Crush the remaining cookies to big chunks and add to the cheesecake batter
- Pour batter into prepared pan with the crust and bake in a water bath in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate overnight before unmolding
- For a closer look at how to un-mold a cheesecake in a regular cake pan, click here
- (Skip to 1:19 in the video for a visual tutorial)
- I made a Creme de Menthe ganache (which is just 3.5 ounces chocolate melted with 1½ Tablespoons of Crem de Menthe liquor melted together over a low heat whisking constantly until melted and smooth.
- garnish with Optional Coconut Whipped Cream
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week