Revisiting my cake decorating days with a Simple Vegan Grinch Cake for Christmas
No special tools and only two recipes!
Even the most non artistic of you can pull this off I promise!
No airbrushing, no fondant and certainly no edible images to make this very simple Vegan Grinch Cake!
All you need is your favorite recipe for cake and buttercream and some parchment paper cones to decorate the whole thing.
The Grinch is hands down my all time favorite Christmas character.
But as you notice the picture I chose of him for my cake is not a mean Grinchy picture but rather when he realized that
“Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
This website may contain links as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, which means when you click a link and make a purchase through my website I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you
Notes for Success & Tools I Used:
My fluffy vanilla cake recipe tinted green and American style buttercream is what I chose, but of course you can use whatever recipes you love the most
The recipe below is worked out for a 7″ – 3 layer cake
- For the cake:
- Grease and parchment line the cake pans and preheat the oven to 350°F
- Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken
- Add the vinegar to the soy milk to sour
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy and this may take about 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed
- Add the thickened flax paste while mixing on medium speed, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to incorporate evenly, add the vanilla extract
- Add about 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture then add half of the soured milk
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and then the remaining sour milk
- Add the last amount of flour and mix just to combine evenly.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 3 greased and parchment lined cake pans and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers
- Prepare the buttercream recipe according to the instructions on that recipe post and then divide it into 4 small bowls for the color decor
- Assemble the cake & decorate as shown in the video tutorial
This cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days, for longer storage refrigerate for up to 1 week