Snicker’s Candy Bars and Fudge Brownies.
Two of the most satisfying desserts on earth just came together in holy matrimony!
Introducing Vegan Snickers Brownies!
The fudgiest vegan brownie you will ever eat all wrapped up in caramel, peanut butter nougat and chocolate ganache for the worlds most sinful (but worth it) dessert ever!
You will have to make a couple of recipes to get to the final as with any respectable Building on Recipes project, but these recipes are really easy and would you believe I did not need the pull out my mixer for a single one of them!?
Besides the brownie recipe, the other three recipes are literally 2 and 3 ingredient recipes that you can throw together all while the brownies are baking.
So although this may seem like a time consuming dessert, it can all be done in just about an hour!
The peanut butter “nougat” is really just straight up peanut butter thickened with some coconut or almond flour (or even graham cracker crumbs will do!) and sweetened with some agave or maple syrup.
The caramel “sauce” is made from 2 ingredients (ok 4 if you count vanilla and salt!) and I’ve been playing around with all types of sugar lately.
The vegan sugar came out great and the coconut sugar was really dark because coconut sugar starts out really dark to begin with.
It looked more like molasses so I didn’t want to use that one, although the taste of it was fine.
So for me the palm sugar paste caramel was the winner!
It was the thickest and tasted the most like caramel!
FUN FACT: Palm sugar paste is made from the sweet nectar of the coconut or toddy palm flowers.
It’s an integral ingredient in Thai cooking, it is what is referred to as “original sugar” in traditional Thai cuisine before white granulated sugar became a thing.
So anyway, this caramel “sauce” turns out really sticky and gooey just like the center of a real Snicker’s Bar, so I really like using this recipe rather than an actual caramel sauce recipe.
Pick your sugar of choice (watch to the end of the video for all the variations) and let’s get going to Snickertown!
First stop, Brownieville.
- For the Brownie
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup (125g)
- Baking Powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Coconut Oil 2 Tablespoons
- Unsweetened Applesauce 2 Tablespoons
- Brewed Coffee ½ cup (120ml)
- Bittersweet or Semi Sweet Vegan Chocolate 1½ ounces
- Unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa ⅓ cup
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- For the Peanut Butter "nougat"
- Creamy Peanut Butter 1 cup
- Coconut Flour or Almond Flour or Graham Cracker Crumbs 4 Tablespoons *On the video it will seem as if I added less because I made a smaller recipe on video then made another recipe later because I didn't have enough
- Agave 2 Tablespoons
- For the Caramel Layer
- ½ cup Palm Sugar Paste
- ½ cup coconut milk (120ml)
- Salt pinch
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- 6ounces chocolate & 4 ounces soy milk Recipe Ganache
- Lightly salted roasted peanuts 1 cup
- For the brownie chop the chocolate to fine pieces and combine with the cocoa powder in a medium bowl
- Add the hot brewed coffee and whisk to melt
- Add the sugar, melted coconut oil and the applesauce and whisk smooth
- Add the vanilla extract and then sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the chocolate mixture and whisk smooth
- Divide batter evenly into the greased and parchment lined molds and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 28 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool while you prepare the other recipes
- To make the caramel combine the palm sugar and coconut milk together in a sauce pot and whisk smooth until it starts to boil
- Once it boils reduce heat to medium and stop stirring and let it reduce to almost half the original volume (which would be about ½ cup) this should take about 5 minutes, not much longer
- Add the salt and vanilla extract and swirl the pan to combine
- Pour into a heatproof container to cool and then make the peanut butter nougat.
- Combine the peanut butter, flour or your choice (or graham cracker crumbs) with the agave and mix smooth
- Prepare the ganache as per the recipe instructions on that blog post then assemble the brownies as shown in the video tutorial