It’s that time of year again when we give all the pumpkin things a little competition with all things Apple!
Apple Cider Donuts are a staple in my bakery this time of year!
I could not bake them fast enough to supply the demand!
The lines were out the door on a Sunday morning in October!
For me, I have always loved a cake donut much more than a yeast raised donut
The Apple Cider Donut is the epitome of classic cake donut!
Soft spiced donuts loaded with apple flavor!
The concentrating of the apple cider in this recipe will pack a punch so be sure to take that extra step by reducing the apple cider first.
I also dip my baked donuts into more of that apple cider reduction!
And then coat them generously in cinnamon sugar
This recipe is so easy you can seriously be eating Vegan Apple Cider Donuts in less than 30 minutes and trust me they may be gone even faster than that!
This recipe only makes 9 regular sized donuts so you may also want to double the recipe!
For more of the best vegan donut recipes click the links below!
- Apple Cider 1½ cups
- All Purpose Flour 1¼ cup (157g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Light Brown Sugar ⅓ cup (70g)
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg pinch
- Ground Cloves pinch
- Cardamom ¼ teaspoon
- Reduced Apple Cider ½ cup *see note above
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil or Melted Vegan Butter 4 teaspoons
- Ground Flax 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- Hot Apple Cider from the reduction above 3 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Plant Milk ⅓ cup (78ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Cinnamon Sugar *as needed for dipping the baked donuts approx 1 cup
- First take 1½ cups apple cider and bring it to a boil in a medium sauce pot.
- Lower the heat to a rapid simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Once reduced, you should have about 1 cup liquid remaining.
- ½ cup is for the recipe and the other ½ cup I use for dipping the donuts after baking
- For the Donut Batter:
- Combine ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons of the hot apple cider and whisk smooth
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar with the spices and whisk smooth by hand
- Combine the plant milk with the apple cider vinegar stir & let sit for 5 minutes to sour
- Next add thee soured plant milk to the apple cider, coconut oil or vegan butter & vanilla extract and whisk smooth
- Next add the flax paste to the other liquids and whisk smooth
- Add the sifted flour, salt & baking soda with all the spices and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities of a lightly greased Donut Pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 12 - 15 minutes or when they spring back when gently pressed they are done *For mini donuts the bake time is closer to 8 minutes
- Cool slightly then remove from the pans and while still warm dip in the remaining apple cider reduction, do not saturate them, just a quick dip and flip and then dip them into the cinnamon sugar
- Cool on a rack and serve.
You can freeze them for up to 1 month