It’s that time of year again when we give all the pumpkin things a little competition with all things Apple!
Apple Cider Donuts are a staple in my bakery this time of year!
I could not bake them fast enough to supply the demand!
The lines were out the door on a Sunday morning in October!
For me, I have always loved a cake donut much more than a yeast raised donut
The Apple Cider Donut is the epitome of classic cake donut!
Soft spiced donuts loaded with apple flavor!
The concentrating of the apple cider in this recipe will pack a punch so be sure to take that extra step by reducing the apple cider first.
I also dip my baked donuts into more of that apple cider reduction!
And then coat them generously in cinnamon sugar
This recipe is so easy you can seriously be eating Vegan Apple Cider Donuts in less than 30 minutes and trust me they may be gone even faster than that!
This recipe only makes 9 regular sized donuts so you may also want to double the recipe!
CLICK HERE FOR THE YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO MAKE APPLE CIDER DONUTS
For more of the best vegan donut recipes click the links below!
- Apple Cider 1½ cups
- All Purpose Flour 1¼ cup (157g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Light Brown Sugar ⅓ cup (70g)
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg pinch
- Ground Cloves pinch
- Cardamom ¼ teaspoon
- Reduced Apple Cider ½ cup *see note above
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil or Melted Vegan Butter 4 teaspoons
- Ground Flax 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- Hot Apple Cider from the reduction above 3 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Plant Milk ⅓ cup (78ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Cinnamon Sugar *as needed for dipping the baked donuts approx 1 cup
- First take 1½ cups apple cider and bring it to a boil in a medium sauce pot.
- Lower the heat to a rapid simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Once reduced, you should have about 1 cup liquid remaining.
- ½ cup is for the recipe and the other ½ cup I use for dipping the donuts after baking
- For the Donut Batter:
- Combine ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons of the hot apple cider and whisk smooth
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar with the spices and whisk smooth by hand
- Combine the plant milk with the apple cider vinegar stir & let sit for 5 minutes to sour
- Next add thee soured plant milk to the apple cider, coconut oil or vegan butter & vanilla extract and whisk smooth
- Next add the flax paste to the other liquids and whisk smooth
- Add the sifted flour, salt & baking soda with all the spices and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities of a lightly greased Donut Pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 12 - 15 minutes or when they spring back when gently pressed they are done *For mini donuts the bake time is closer to 8 minutes
- Cool slightly then remove from the pans and while still warm dip in the remaining apple cider reduction, do not saturate them, just a quick dip and flip and then dip them into the cinnamon sugar
- Cool on a rack and serve.
You can freeze them for up to 1 month
Hi Gretchen, what would be the egg equivalent for this recipe? 1 egg? Thanks!
These look amazing! Can these be made into donut holes instead if so not have the donut pans? And if can make donut holes would the amount of baking time change?
Yes you can, but would need the pan.. or a cake pop pan would work great. Because the batter is thin and runny you can’t just scoop balls with this.
These bake fast, so I think the holes may be faster, just by a minute or two
Hi, I don’t see a link to the cinnamon sugar recipe? What do you like to use? It’s not something I make often.
Hi Sorry! I just “eye” it by taking about ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Thank you, that’s very helpful!
Have you ever made this recipe gluten free? Curious how it would turnout?
I have not, I do not do any gluten free baking, but I have been told that gluten free+ vegan adds another layer of chaos to the mix LOL
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Can I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose?
I have pumpkin spice mix that has all the ground spices for this recipe in it, so how much if that can I use instead of all of them individually?
1½ teaspoons. (Whenever you encounter that, just add up the total of all the spices the author lists for them individually and then use that same total amount in premixed Pumpkin Pie Spice)
Thank you so much! Your so helpful! I will be making these this Sunday 🙂 can’t wait!
Recipes are much easier to deal with if ingredients are listed in order of use…..Please consider doing so.
Can I use applesauce in place of the oil/butter?
I have not tested that~ but it’s worth a try. I probably would not replace ALL the oil/butter in the recipe~ but a portion of it would probably be ok. let me know how you go
Please let us knowing you make vegan apple cider doughnuts for sale? If so please email me directly.
Hi Sorry! No longer a retail baker, just sharing my recipes!