It’s time to give all the pumpkin things a little competition with all things Apple!
Apple Cider Donuts were a staple in my bakery this time of year!
We couldn’t bake them fast enough to supply the demand and the lines were out the door on a Sunday morning in October!
Soft cake donuts loaded with fall spices and super apple flavor!
Vegan Apple Cider Donuts are the epitome of classic cake donut, which I have always loved much more than a yeast raised donut
The concentrating of the apple cider in this recipe will pack a punch so be sure to take that extra step by reducing the apple cider first.
Rolled in a generous coating of cinnamon sugar these are just so fantastic!
Notes for Success:
This recipe only makes 9 regular sized donuts so you may also want to double the recipe!
For more of the best vegan donut recipes click the links below!
- Apple Cider 1½ cups *read the instruction first
For the Apple Cider Donut Batter:
- All Purpose Flour 1¼ cup (157g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Light Brown Sugar 1/3 cup (70g)
- Ground Cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger ½ teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg pinch
- Ground Cloves pinch
- Cardamom ¼ teaspoon
- Reduced Apple Cider ½ cup
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil or Melted Vegan Butter 4 teaspoons
- Ground Flax 1 Tablespoon (8g)
- Hot Apple Cider from the reduction above 3 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Plant Milk 1/3 cup (78ml)
- Apple Cider Vinegar 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Cinnamon Sugar *as needed for dipping the baked donuts approx 1 cup
- Please read the entire instructions before beginning
- The apple cider listed below will be reduced and then used in different stages in the recipe
- First take 1½ cups apple cider and bring it to a boil in a medium sauce pot.
- Lower the heat to a rapid simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Once reduced, you should have about 1 cup liquid remaining.
- ½ cup is for the recipe and the other ½ cup I use for dipping the donuts after baking
- For the Donut Batter
- Combine ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons of the hot apple cider and whisk smooth
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar with the spices and whisk together by hand
- Combine the plant milk with the apple cider vinegar stir & let sit for 5 minutes to sour
- Next add the soured plant milk to the apple cider, oil or vegan butter & vanilla extract and whisk smooth
- Next add the flax paste to the other liquids and whisk smooth
- Add the sifted flour, salt & baking soda with all the spices and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities of a lightly greased Donut Pan
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 12 - 15 minutes or when they spring back when gently pressed they are done *For mini donuts the bake time is closer to 8 minutes
- Cool slightly then remove from the pans and while still warm dip in the remaining apple cider reduction, do not saturate them, just a quick dip and flip and then dip them into the cinnamon sugar
- Cool on a rack and serve.
Donuts will stay fresh for up to 4 days wrapped at room temperature.
You can freeze them for up to 1 month