Easy is my new middle name!
This recipe is my newest “go-to” when I need a fast dessert option!
Apple Cream Pie is a no bake recipe that can be made in minutes!
Apple Cream Pie is a staple on the Thanksgiving dessert table
And it’s so easy to make especially when we are stressed for time to make everything else!
Creamy vanilla custard and sauteed cinnamon apples
I have several options for Vegan Whipped Cream here on my website
Or go the lazy route and just buy a tub of CocoWhip Topping for an even easier time with this entire recipe!
The caramel sauce is completely optional but totally awesome!
If you are pressed for time just use a store bought crust!
I won’t tell anyone!
MiDel brand makes a gluten free vegan one too!
But otherwise follow the recipe below for the authentic graham cracker crust recipe
For more awesome Thanksgiving Pie recipes click the links below!
- For the crust:
- Crushed Graham Crackers or sandwich cookies like Oreos 1½ cups
- Granulated Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon (5g)
- Vegan Butter 8 Tablespoons (113g)
- Salt pinch
- For the apple filling:
- 5 Baking Apples- choose your favorite variety (I used Macintosh) Approx 2- 2½ cups sliced apples
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- White Wine, Brandy or Rum *optional - approx 2 Tablespoons
- For the custard filling:
- Soy Milk 2¼ cup (533ml)
- Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150g)
- Cornstarch 6 Tablespoons (50g)
- Turmeric ¼ teaspoon
- Vegan Butter 1½ Tablespoons (21g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- For the whipped topping:
- CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPES or Use 1 Tub CocoWhip Whipped Topping
- First prepare the crust by combining the fine ground graham crackers or cookies with the sugar and cinnamon and a pinch of salt
- Add the melted vegan butter and mix to combine well, it will resemble wet sand.
- press this into the bottom and sides of an un-greased 9" pie plate.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- For the apple filling, peel and core the apples and slice them to ¼" thickness, toss them in a large bowl with the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar
- Melt 1Tbs vegan butter in a saute pan over high heat, then add the apples in a single layer cooking for about 2 minutes to brown on one side then flip them or shake the pan to toss them around to cook the other side. (You may have to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your pan)
- Add the other tablespoon vegan butter while cooking (keep heat to high) and add a splash of rum, brandy or white wine is so nice! *Optional.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes total until the apples are cooked through, tender and flexible but not mushy.
- Pour HALF the apples into the bottom of the prepared cookie crust
- Now prepare the custard by combing all the ingredients except for the vanilla extract and the vegan butter in a medium sauce pot over medium to high heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly to avoid scorching the bottom .
- Once it starts to bubble let it boil on low heat for about 10 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan butter and vanilla extract and stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour over the apples in the pie plate and then refrigerate for about 30 minutes to slightly set, then top with the remaining apples, refrigerate to cool & set completely.
- Prepare the whipped cream a day in advance as per the recipe instructions OR top the cooled set pie with 1 tub CocoWhip Topping.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and crushed graham crackers and serve!
- The drizzle of caramel sauce is optional, but if you are interested, I used the recipe from my Bananas Foster Cake CLICK HERE