Today I am so excited to show you a highlighted recipe from my newest cookbook I just finished!
Yes I wrote a cookbook!
I can’t wait for you all to see it, so I just had to give you a sneak peak of what’s inside!
One of those recipes in the book of 125 all new recipes is this Bananas Foster Cake!
Layers of moist banana cake filled with rum-caramel buttercream, caramelized bananas and of course caramel drizzle!
As with any epic cake creation, you will have to get a few recipes prepared before the assemble of the final masterpiece, so with my building on recipes theory you can achieve this with ease.
In the video tutorial below I show you step by step how to organize yourself and attack these recipes one by one and then get to the building of this amazing cake!
Preheat the oven to 350°F
I understand not everyone can get the same Egg Replacers, specifically the FYH Vegan Egg. In which case you can use 4 Tbs Flax Meal and same amount of water OR 2Tbs EnerG Egg replacer with ½ cup water
For the caramel sauce soy milk will give the best results, but any plant milk can be used if you prefer
- For the Banana Cake Layers:
- Vegan Butter 12 Tablespoons (170g)
- Granulated Sugar 1¼ cup (250g)
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg 4 Tablespoons
- Cold Water ¾ cup (177ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Banana Puree 1 cup (from approx 2 medium bananas)
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups (250g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Ground Cardamon ½ teaspoon
- For Carmel Banana Dip and Caramel Drip Sauce:
- Granulated Sugar 1½ cup (300g)
- Water ⅓ cup (80ml)
- Vegan Butter 1 Tablespoon (14g)
- Soy Milk at room temperature ¼ cup (60ml)
- For the Caramelized Banana Filling:
- 2 Medium Bananas
- Vegan Butter 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Light Brown Sugar 2 Tablespoons (28g)
- Rum *optional 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
- For the Rum - Caramel Buttercream:
- 1 Recipe Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- ½ Cup Caramel Sauce reserved from above drip recipe
- Rum Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Banana Chips as needed for optional garnish
- For the Cake:
- Combine the FYH Vegan Egg with the cold water and whisk smooth, add the vanilla extract
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar on medium to high speed until light & fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift the flour with the baking powder, spices and salt
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed mixture and mix smooth
- Add the sifted flour mixture while mixing on low speed until combined then add the banana puree and mix smooth
- Divide the batter evenly in the pans and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool completely while you prepare the caramel dip for the bananas and then the caramel drip sauce
- For the Caramel Dip & Drip Sauce:
- IN a medium heavy bottom sauce pot combine the sugar and water over medium to high heat and stir to dissolve the sugar, but do not stir once the mixture comes to a boil
- Boil until the temperature reaches just under 300°F on an instant read thermometer or once you see the color start to change to a light amber.
- Shock the pot in an ice water bath to stop the cooking then let it sit for about 5 minutes to cool down and thicken slightly
- Dip the banana chips in the caramel then lay out on a silicon mat to set
- At this point your caramel drip may start to harden, in which case return it to a low heat to melt the caramel then add 1 Tablespoon vegan butter and the room temperature soy milk, be careful as it may splatter, just whisk it out to a smooth sauce consistency
- Cool completely before using in the buttercream recipe as follows (and the remaining will be the drip for the cake)
- Next prepare the buttercream recipe (see video and recipe on Aquafaba Swiss Buttercream recipe post)
- Add the last stage of mixing add in ½ cup of the reserved cooled caramel drip sauce from above recipe and then the rum extract
- For the Caramelized Banana filling:
- Melt the vegan butter with 1 Tablespoon of the brown sugar in a heavy bottom saute pan
- Add the sliced bananas and fry until they are browned and then flip them over to cook the other side, sprinkle the other 1 Tbs brown sugar over top and cook until starting to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 Tbs rum *optional
- Transfer to a tray to cool
- Now you can assemble the cake as shown in the video tutorial.
- Be sure to cake is chilled and the leftover caramel drip sauce is cooled before pouring over top.
The bananas inside will not turn brown since air is what causes oxidation, but once the cake is cut the exposed banana filling may turn slightly. Use a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper pressed directly against the cut side to prevent severe browning of the filling and drying of the cut cake.
Baked cake layers can be frozen for up to 1 month wrapped well