This recipe is hands down the best carrot cake ever!
I have been told this by several people and 99% of them are not even vegan!
Believe me this is not just me tooting my own horn!
I don’t know why it makes me so happy when non vegans tell me my desserts are the “best they ever had”
Well, maybe it’s pretty obvious since most people have an instant adverse reaction to anything vegan
Even just the word vegan can get so many people in an uproar!
So to hear great things about these recipes is just a feather in the proverbial vegan hat.
Whether you are vegan or not you have finally found the best carrot cake recipe ever!
But don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself!
Quite possibly the easiest recipe to mix too since there is no mixer required!
Even the cream cheese icing can be done by hand since vegan cream cheese is so much easier to cream smooth
This is my go-to recipe whenever I want to impress the masses.
Isn’t that odd?
Whoever would have thought a rustic old fashioned carrot cake could be a vegan converter!
By the way if you are not into making an entire layer cake
This recipe is so fantastic as a bread or baked into a sheet cake with no icing at all!
- Vegetable Oil ¾ cup (177ml)
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (140g)
- Cake Flour ½ cup (60g)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (4g)
- Baking Soda 1teaspoon (4g)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon 1¾ teaspoons
- Brown Sugar ½ cup (105g)
- Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Ground Flax Seeds 3 Tablespoons (24g)
- Hot Water 6 Tablespoons (90ml)
- Vanilla Extract 1½ teaspoons (7ml)
- Carrots 4 medium (approx 2 cups 250g)
- Granny Smith Apple 1 medium peeled approx ¾ cup
- Orange Zest from ¼ large orange approx 1 teaspoon
- Toasted Walnuts ¾ cup plus more for garnish *optional
- Combine the flax with the hot water and let stand to thicken
- In a large bowl combine the sugars with the oil, vanilla extract and the flax mixture, whisk smooth
- Add the orange zest
- Then sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the bowl and whisk smooth
- Add the grated carrots and apple and the nuts then mix smooth
- Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake immediately at 350°F in a preheated oven for approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans. Bake Until they are Done
- Cool cakes while you prepare the Cream Cheese Icing recipe below and then assemble cake as shown in the video
For the cream cheese icing I often add about one cup of vegan buttercream to it for added stability
This is completely optional and can be left out
The cream cheese icing is very fragile to mix though
So be careful not to over mix it or it will become very loose and unstable
- Vegan Cream Cheese 2 Tubs (2cups) (454g)
- Vegan Butter 1 stick (½ cup) (112g)
- Confectioner's Sugar 2 cups (240g)
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Vegan Buttercream 1 cup *optional
- Smooth cream cheese and the softened vegan butter BY HAND with a wooden spoon or spatula
- Add sifted confectioners sugar, mix evenly
- Add extract then add optional vegan buttercream icing
- Mix smooth